RE: [bmwg] Meeting Minutes Review: IPsec Terminology

sporetsky@quarrytech.com Tue, 28 October 2003 22:59 UTC

From: sporetsky@quarrytech.com
To: kaeo@merike.com, sporetsky@quarrytech.com, brian.talbert@mci.com, mbustos@ixiacom.com, bmwg@ietf.org
Cc: ipsec-term@external.cisco.com
Subject: RE: [bmwg] Meeting Minutes Review: IPsec Terminology
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:57:42 -0500
Sender: bmwg-admin@ietf.org

Merike,

We are going to end up debating Packet Sizes for an "Imix" instead of IPsec
benchmarking.  I would add to your list 40 bytes, 48 bytes, and 512 bytes
packets.  40 and 48 bytes are common POS benchmarks and 512 bytes is a
common packet size on the Internet.

The Imix definition is not unique to IPsec.  It applies to many BMWG drafts
and RFCs.  One alternative is to reference the phrase "a mix of packet
sizes" in the IPsec draft and have it _defined_ in the General Benchmarking
Terminology draft that Al and Kevin plan to write.  This addresses the
problem globally and enables IPsec draft to make progress by putting the
focus back on IPsec issues.

BTW, Great talk at NANOG last week.

Scott