[bmwg] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04: (with COMMENT)

"Benoit Claise" <bclaise@cisco.com> Tue, 28 May 2013 14:00 UTC

From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 07:00:14 -0700
Cc: bmwg-chairs@tools.ietf.org, "bmwg@ietf.org" <bmwg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [bmwg] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04: (with COMMENT)

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

COMMENT:

No objection to the publication of this document.
However, I have some remarks/questions. Please engage in the discussion.

-  z=MTU is seen as valuable, so MTU MUST be specified if used.
Where? by whom? The tester? Following Section 4 " The tester MUST
complete the following table" example", you might need something such as:

    If the z (MTU) is used, the tester MUST specifiy the MTU value in the
report

- While this approach allows some flexibility, there are also
   constraints.

   o  Non-RFC2544 packet sizes would need to be approximated by those
      available in the table.

   o  The Genome for very long sequences can become undecipherable by
      humans.

   o  z=MTU is seen as valuable, so MTU MUST be specified if used.

   o  "jumbo" sizes are included.

"jumbo" sizes are included: is this a constraint or an advantage? I
thought it was an advantage.

-
OLD:

   The chosen configuration would be expressed the following general
   form:

NEW:
   The chosen configuration would be expressed in the following general
   form:

-
   +-----------------------+-------------------------+-----------------+
   | Source                | Destination             | Corresponding   |
   | Address/Port/Blade    | Address/Port/Blade      | IMIX            |
   +-----------------------+-------------------------+-----------------+
   | x.x.x.x Blade2        | y.y.y.y Blade3          | IMIX - aaafg    |
   +-----------------------+-------------------------+-----------------+

I don't see the port in the examples.
Maybe you meant Address/{Port|Blade} ?
Or maybe you meant Address/{Port AND/OR Blade} ?

- Section 4.
The custom IMIX can use the MTU size, by setting it up in the Genome.
However, the MTU semantic is not conveyed.
Is this intentional? I was thinking that Z would be the MTU, with the
constraint that the tester MUST specify the MTU value in the report?

- Section 4.
Isn't it an issue that only 26 discrete values are possible?
Don't we have test for which the packet size increases by 1
monotonically?

- Section 5
I guess that the sentence "When a sequence can be decomposed into a
series of short repeating sequences, then a run-length encoding approach
MAY be used as shown below:" can also apply to custom IMIX. The example
doesn't show it. If this is the case, you should mention it.

Editorial
"Genome" versus "genome" throughout document