Re: [bmwg] draft-lencse-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful

Gábor LENCSE <lencse@hit.bme.hu> Fri, 25 June 2021 09:08 UTC

To: bmwg@ietf.org
From: Gábor LENCSE <lencse@hit.bme.hu>
Cc: draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing@ietf.org, draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:08:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [bmwg] draft-lencse-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful

Dear Sándor,

Thank you very much for reading and commenting our draft!

Please see my answers inline.

2021.06.21. 23:01 keltezéssel, Sandor R. Repas Dr. írta:

> Dear Gabor,
>
> I have read your draft.
>
> In my opinion, a good standard procedure for measuring NATxy boxes is
> very useful and important.
>
> I assume a very important problem is NAT protocol helpers (e.g. ftp,
> pptp, tftp). Their implementations on the NATxy boxes can greatly
> affect the performance of the device. So it is important to take these
> into account. A possible solution is to omit well-known ports of these
> protocols from the target ports, or to consider some statistical
> distributions of them in the measurement process. (And I have more
> ideas...) I suggest a deeper investigation of this problem and
> possible modifications based on the results.

I agree with you that NAT protocol helpers may have a significant impact
on the throughput of the NATxy boxes and, therefore, the distribution of
the destination port numbers matters a lot.

On the one hand Section 4.5 of RFC 4814 (the authors of which I have
CC-d), requires a uniform distribution of the destination port numbers
in the range of [1, 49151].
On the other hand, I think that the Author of RFC 4814 did not intend to
say anything about the popularity of the different protocols. They
focused on the hashing effect of the port numbers, that is, how the test
frames are distributed among the different CPU-s of the DUT.

Authors, did I understand your intention well?

If it is so, then I can imagine two major approaches to handle the
problem of NAT protocol helpers:

Approach 1.

Collect statistic about the popularity of the different protocols (that
is the distribution of the destination port numbers) and generate
pseudorandom destination port numbers by following that distribution.
Hopefully, pseudorandom source port numbers will still do an appropriate
hashing.
In fact, our draft has already done a similar thing by limiting the
destination port numbers to avoid a DoS attack against the connection
tracking table of the DUT, please refer to Section 4. 1
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-lencse-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful#section-4.1

However, these two solutions may conflict with each other, therefore, I
would prefer the following approach.

Approach 2.

Completely eliminate the phenomenon of protocol helpers (either by
disabling them or leaving out their port numbers, perhaps by leaving out
all the system port for simplicity). We recommended to use a "narrow"
range for destination port numbers. So this range should not overlap
with the range of the system ports.
And apply and additional benchmarking test according to "Benchmarking
Methodology for Network Security Device Performance", the (the authors
of which I have also CC-d) the latest version of which is available
from:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-09

Authors of that draft, do you think that Approach 2 can be feasible?

> I have found some nits:
>
> On page 3: the stateful DUT would -> the stateful device under test
> (DUT) would
>
> On page 4: it can use any source and destination port numbers -> it
> can use any source and destination port numbers (from 1-65535)
>
> On page 5: for source and destination port numbers to avoid the denial
> of service attack against the connection tracking table -> for source
> and destination port numbers to avoid the denial of service attack
> like event against the connection tracking table
>
> On page 7: Important warning: in normal router testing, the port
> number -> Important warning: in normal (non-NAT) router testing, the
> port number
>
> On page 10: results in a frame rate that is too low to keep alive the
> connection tracking table entries -> results in a frame rate that is
> too low to prevent the deletion of the connection tracking table
> entries of the DUT due to timeout
>
> On page 10: the refreshing of the corresponding connection tracking
> table element -> the refreshing of the corresponding connection
> tracking table element of the DUT

Thank you very much for pointing them out!

We will address them in the next version.

Best regards,

Gábor