Re: [bmwg] [Last-Call] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 02 February 2022 08:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 09:20:33 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Matt Joras <matt.joras@gmail.com>
Cc: Carsten Rossenhoevel <cross@eantc.de>, last-call@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org, draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance.all@ietf.org, bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bmwg] [Last-Call] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13

On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 11:32:29PM -0800, Matt Joras wrote:
> If it were me I would perhaps instead make a note of QUIC as a potential
> transport protocol for HTTP, and acknowledge that the document will not
> attempt to enumerate specific testing procedures for it. The current text
> probably would not lead to useful results for QUIC performance testing
> relative to TCP.

I would very much hope that a new protocol like QUIC would NOT require the same
amount of nerd-knob tuning as potentially decade old TCP stacks.  The need
to tune parameters in TCP for different situations has been one of the core
operational pain points.

Besides: this document does not attempt to test the variety of "challenged path"
situations, which should it make it even more benighn to test with just defaults.
(and those challenged path performance measurements are better done in a
 non-security-device specific BMWG document).

If anything, the main security relevant TCP/QUIC comparison that i would like
to see in future IETF work is a comparison to the extend that the same security
device can perform the same degree of inspection for TCP vs QUIC flows.
Given how QUIC further enhances end-to-end privacy and hides transport level parameters,
i would imagine that the security device on average can do less. But i have not seen good
quantitative or even qualitative comparisons (some of this already applied to
TCP with TLS-1.3).

Cheers
    Toerless