[bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-01.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Thu, 20 October 2022 02:14 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: bmwg@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 19:14:21 -0700
Subject: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-01.txt

This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Benchmarking Methodology for Stateful NATxy Gateways using RFC 4814 Pseudorandom Port Numbers
        Authors         : Gabor Lencse
                          Keiichi Shima
  Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-01.txt
  Pages           : 25
  Date            : 2022-10-19

Abstract:
   RFC 2544 has defined a benchmarking methodology for network
   interconnect devices.  RFC 5180 addressed IPv6 specificities and it
   also provided a technology update, but excluded IPv6 transition
   technologies.  RFC 8219 addressed IPv6 transition technologies,
   including stateful NAT64.  However, none of them discussed how to
   apply RFC 4814 pseudorandom port numbers to any stateful NATxy
   (NAT44, NAT64, NAT66) technologies.  We discuss why using
   pseudorandom port numbers with stateful NATxy gateways is a difficult
   problem.  We recommend a solution limiting the port number ranges and
   using two phases: the preliminary test phase and the real test phase.
   We show how the classic performance measurement procedures (e.g.
   throughput, frame loss rate, latency, etc.) can be carried out.  We
   also define new performance metrics and measurement procedures for
   maximum connection establishment rate, connection tear down rate and
   connection tracking table capacity measurements.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-01

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts