[bmwg] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-03: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in> Wed, 07 June 2017 21:52 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv@ietf.org, Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>, bmwg-chairs@ietf.org, sbanks@encrypted.net, bmwg@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 14:52:42 -0700
Subject: [bmwg] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-03: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-03: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv/

DISCUSS:

Picking up on the thread that started with the Gen-ART review, I'm not clear on
the position of this document when it comes to repeatability. If all of the
parameters listed in Section 3.3 (assuming they apply) are configured and
documented, is it assumed that the benchmarks will be repeatable and comparable
with hardware implementation benchmarks? Or is the position of the document
that the benchmarks are not likely to be repeatable/comparable in some (many?)
cases, given the increase in complexity? Or that more work needs to be done
(outside the specification process) to achieve repeatability? I think this
needs to be more clear in the document.

COMMENT:

I understand the debate about the publication of this document as an IETF
consensus RFC. To me it seems valuable to publish and that this item is within
the WG's charter. I think adding the updates necessary to make the document
up-to-date with the Danube 3.0 release as suggested in the thread with Alvaro
would be valuable.