[bmwg] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-dcbench-terminology-17: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 21 June 2017 19:06 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bmwg-dcbench-terminology@ietf.org, Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>, bmwg-chairs@ietf.org, sbanks@encrypted.net, bmwg@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 12:06:06 -0700
Subject: [bmwg] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-dcbench-terminology-17: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-dcbench-terminology-17: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-dcbench-terminology/

COMMENT:

I find the naming of the draft fairly confusing. It goes way beyond
"terminology"; it makes a number of normative (using 2119 language) statements
about benchmarking procedures. I wonder why the sections about procedure did
not go into the methodology draft instead. In general, I don't think putting
normative language in an informational terminology draft is a good idea. (This
would have been a DISCUSS, except that I am aware the bmwg has decided to make
all its drafts informational and to still use 2119 language. For the record, I
think that policy falls down with this draft.)

I agree with the comment from others that this does not seem to be specific to
datacenters.

- 2.2: Definitions of "store-and-forward" and "cut-through" when used in this
context would be helpful. The first may be obvious, but the best I can do with
"cut-through" is assume it means the opposite of "store-and-forward".

- 6.2: After reading the definition of "Incast" several times, I'm still not
sure what it means or what is being measured.