Re: [bmwg] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-03: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 08 June 2017 12:47 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 08:47:29 -0400
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "sbanks@encrypted.net" <sbanks@encrypted.net>, "bmwg-chairs@ietf.org" <bmwg-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv@ietf.org>, "bmwg@ietf.org" <bmwg@ietf.org>
To: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
Subject: Re: [bmwg] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-vswitch-opnfv-03: (with COMMENT)

Hi, thanks for the response. Please see inline:

> On Jun 6, 2017, at 10:32 AM, MORTON, ALFRED C (AL) <acmorton@att.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben, thanks for your review, please see below...

It's great to see close collaboration between an open source project and a working group. But I don't see how it follows that it's a good idea to publish project status as an RFC.  Especially a project that is moving rapidly. But as I said, I'm not going to get in the way of publication. (I'm not going to make a detailed argument, because others have already done so, and I concede that this seems to fit the WG charter.)

>> -3.4: "It is essential to increase the flow timeout   time on a vswitch
>> before
>> conducting any performance tests that do not   intend to measure the
>> flow setup
>> time."
>>
>> Does this mean to make allowances for the startup characteristics of virtual
>> network elements, when physical elements might not have such limitations?  That
>> seems sort of like optimizing for the test.
> [ACM]
> This is an accepted aspect of benchmarking, and applies to both
> physical and virtual network functions, such as switches and routers.
> For example, RFC 2889 says:
>   " ... The DUT/SUT address aging time SHOULD be configured to be greater than
>   the period of the learning phase of the test plus the trial duration
>   plus any configuration time required by the testing device."
> See:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2889#section-3
> The learning phase is benchmarked separately.

Okay, I am willing to accept that this is common practice.

>> -4, figures:
>>
>> Figure numbers and cross references would be very helpful for this
>> section.
>>
> [ACM] OK, we'll add them.

Thanks!