Re: [Bnbsg] IoT Theme for IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites Program

Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com> Wed, 23 April 2014 22:38 UTC

From: Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:38:06 -0700
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>, "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Cc: bnbsg@ietf.org, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, Ted Lemon <ted.lemon@nominum.com>
Subject: Re: [Bnbsg] IoT Theme for IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites Program

Alex, Pascal,

Thank you both for providing such detailed and helpful responses. Unfortunately, I have to admit that almost all of what you are saying is over my head, but I will attempt to catch up!

I’d like to compose a message to send to the 6lo, 6tisch, RoLL, lwig, ACE and Core mail lists, and I want to make sure that I capture the spirit of what you are saying without making my mail too broad or unfocused. Because of that, it would be extremely helpful to me if we could spend 20 minutes with the BnB Steering Commitee on the phone in order to flesh this out a bit more  — ideally within the next week, simply because we have a tight schedule to manage. Ray has indicated that Monday is the only day next week that may be workable for him, so I’ve created a Doodle poll for this Monday the 28th here: http://doodle.com/sa38wvvuiz7srgnq.

In addition, I would be very grateful if you would consider joining the BnB Steering Committee for this IETF 90 planning cycle, or at least while we are in the theme-refinement and messaging stages of planning for the event. If you are willing, then I will add you to the BnB Steering Committee mail list. I’ve copied the BnB Steering Committee on this email, and am tossing out the following questions and ideas to everyone for their comments:

1) Many of the companies mentioned in your emails are not regular IETF participants (e.g. Nike, Honeywell) and, because of that, I am wondering if enticing them to participate may be challenging.  Does anyone have thoughts on that?

2) Stephanie performed a quick audit of the relevant mail IETF lists and noticed that there is a lot of university participation in the IoT area. I think it would be interesting to hear what some of these folks have to say; however I also think it’s unlikely that a university is going to have the budget to spend on a BnB participation fee. Perhaps we can look into sponsorships for this if any universities are interested. Chris Griffiths once mentioned that Dyn would consider sponsoring the participation of another organization, and I think that other companies may feel the same way. Comments?

3) Giveaways. I’d like to consider devoting a small portion of our BnB budget to giveaways that are appropriately themed (i.e. IoT devices). Not sure what they would be but am thinking of things like the Belkin WeMo (http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C027/) and the Spotter (https://www.quirky.com/shop/609-spotter-multi-purpose-sensor) which are both $50. For the big prize, we could do something like a Nest Thermostat or a FitBit or Jawbone. I welcome ideas here. And then in order to encourage people to visit the tables, we might manage it so that you only get to enter your name for a prize if you’ve got a stamp in your “BnB Passport” from each exhibitor’s table.

Alexa