[Bnbsg] Participate in IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites: Internet of Things (IoT)

Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com> Tue, 20 May 2014 05:03 UTC

From: Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 22:03:52 -0700
To: bnbsg@ietf.org
Subject: [Bnbsg] Participate in IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites: Internet of Things (IoT)

Hi Everyone,

Finally getting this out to all of you. I would like to send an email to the relevant working group lists tomorrow (Tuesday). The below is essentially the language we have on the website, which was taken from the text prepared by Alex and Pascal. Please send me any comments at your earliest convenience. Question: I’m not sure what the sentence at the end means when it says, “Things deployed on a table, relying on local connections and alternatively exhibiting remote access across the Internet”  — does that mean that it will use the local IETF network but also potentially access devices or things that are external to the IETF network? If so, could we rephrase it to say, "Things deployed on a table, connecting via the local IETF network in Toronto and/or demonstrating remote access across the Internet.”  Or is the sentence clear enough as is and perhaps it’s just my own lack of understanding that is the issue :-)

Also, is this the complete list of WG lists that we should send the email to:

- 6lo WG
- 6tisch WG
- RoLL WG
- lwig WG
- ACE BoF
- Core WG

+++++++

Bits-N-Bites at IETF 90 in Toronto will focus on the Internet of Things, and the IETF invites you and your organization to participate!

The arrival of Things connected to the Internet in recent years has given life to new applications in both the consumer and industrial market segments. We are surrounded by products that utilize connectivity and a growing enthusiasm suggests imminent and impressive deployments: billions of new connected devices are expected by year 2020.  In the industrial world, wide spread wireless sensoring devices that collect data and measurements will move us into the next phase of process optimization. This will require the combination of the best of Information Technology (IT) and Operational Technology (OT), forming the IT/OT convergence.

When deploying multi-stage Thing topologies, two trends compete: IP protocols are enhanced and transformed into less end-to-end protocols (address translation, header compression, 'mesh under' routing and more) and, alternatively, existing IP protocols are reduced to their bare minimum such as to fit in reduced Things (reduced CPU frequency and number of transistors, dimensions and energy consumption).

IETF 90 demonstrations should exhibit recent developments of IP protocols for IoT networks (6lowpan adaptation layers, MANET and RPL routing protocols, 6tsch time-constrained communications, CoAP app-layer protocols) as well as demonstrations of the tendency of bringing the known IPv6 as close as possible to the Thing - minimum set of unmodified IPv6, Neighbor Discovery, DHCP, HTTP, IKEv2.

Does your organization want to reach 1,200 Internet engineers and demonstrate your IoT technologies and usage of IETF protocols? This is your opportunity to show leading industry professionals the latest and greatest of what you do in a social and interactive setting.

Examples of demos include, but are not limited, to:

• home automation controller using SNMP for HVAC and ambient temperature, electricity counter;
• industrial-grade Wireless Sensor Network products;
• scalable wireless designs and existing deployments;
• IPv6 end-to-end and backbone interconnection;
• tablet summarizing status of widespread devices through heterogeneous link connections;
• smart belt collecting body information with low-energy communication protocols;
• vehicle interior connected designs, vehicle-to-road sensor-based communications;
• sensor-assisted autonomous mobile Things (mono-, bi-, quad- wheeled or propelled devices).

There many ways to configure your demo, such as:

• Things deployed on a table, relying on local connections and alternatively exhibiting remote access across the Internet;
• a poster describing a demo;
• video sequence showing a lab demonstration.

For information about IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites, please see http://www.ietf.org/meeting/90/90-bits-n-bites.html or send email to bnbsg@ietf.org.

Regards,
Alexa

Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: amorris@amsl.com

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>