Re: [Bnbsg] IoT Theme for IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites Program

Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com> Fri, 25 April 2014 17:12 UTC

From: Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:11:58 -0700
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
Cc: bnbsg@ietf.org, "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, Ted Lemon <ted.lemon@nominum.com>
Subject: Re: [Bnbsg] IoT Theme for IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites Program

Alex,

Thank you for completing the Doodle poll. Unfortunately, I apparently did not initially set a time zone for the call so I will need to ask you to resubmit your choices, as I’m sure they’ve changed.

http://doodle.com/sa38wvvuiz7srgnq

Thanks,
Alexa

On Apr 24, 2014, at 5:08 AM, Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> any universities are interested.
>
> An interesting question one could make to Universities is whether or not
> their demo platform is part of a EU[*] (or other gov't) project and, if
> yes, then that project may sponsor a demo at BnB, because a demo at IETF is an impact worth mentioning during the Yearly Review discussion at the Commission. (next yearly review in September/October in Brussels).
>
> In addition to Universities, there are also Research Institutes which do have IoT demos.  ETRI of S. Korea comes to mind and their IoT and IoO testbed.  They could be reached through their participation in DMM and the IoT-related WGs.
>
>> Chris Griffiths once mentioned that Dyn would consider sponsoring the
>> participation of another organization, and I think that other
>> companies may feel the same way. Comments?
>
> Also I think I heard Geoff Mulligan presidential innovation fellow
> announcing at IETF about sponsoring stuff using Things.
>
>> 3) Giveaways. I’d like to consider devoting a small portion of our
>> BnB budget to giveaways that are appropriately themed (i.e. IoT
>> devices). Not sure what they would be but am thinking of things like
>> the Belkin WeMo (http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C027/) and the
>> Spotter
>> (https://www.quirky.com/shop/609-spotter-multi-purpose-sensor) which
>> are both $50. For the big prize, we could do something like a Nest
>> Thermostat or a FitBit or Jawbone. I welcome ideas here.
>
> These devices look interesting.
>
> In addition, in this 100usd range I have seen bitcraze's crazyflie small drone, although this is more geek rather than a reliable consumer electronics.
>
> Alex
> [*]: this is a bit of a stretch, but having worked recently on this...
> An ICT-5 call for H2020 at the EU just closed recently.  Although its focus is Future Internet, that call expects IETF contribution as impact, and requires an approach for Future Internet that "be adapted to future applications such as sensor based applications." I suppose among the people formulating project proposals for this ICT-5 call there are IETF participants.  In order to reach them with an invitation to demo at BnB, one would have to find who is in charge at EU about ICT-5, find a Reviewer typically assigned by EU ICT-5 calls, etc.
>
>> And then in order to encourage people to visit the tables, we might
>> manage it so that you only get to enter your name for a prize if
>> you’ve got a stamp in your “BnB Passport” from each exhibitor’s
>> table.
>>
>> Alexa
>>

>> On Apr 22, 2014, at 9:48 AM, Alexandru Petrescu
>> <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree, industrial-focused MAC layer manufacturers are good
>>> candidates for demo events of connected things.
>>>
>>> Also the manufacturers of an ever richer offer of Things such as
>>> toothbrush (company "beam"), wrist bands (nike, withings), wrist
>>> watches (Samsung, Apple), home mother (company "sense"), vacuum