Re: [Bnbsg] Participate in IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites: Internet of Things (IoT)

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 20 May 2014 09:31 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 11:31:08 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>
Cc: bnbsg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Bnbsg] Participate in IETF 90 Bits-N-Bites: Internet of Things (IoT)

Hi Alexa,

Makes sense to me.  Please see below some comments.

Le 20/05/2014 07:03, Alexa Morris a écrit :
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Finally getting this out to all of you. I would like to send an
> email to the relevant working group lists tomorrow (Tuesday). The
> below is essentially the language we have on the website, which was
> taken from the text prepared by Alex and Pascal. Please send me any
> comments at your earliest convenience.

Below.

> Question: I’m not sure what the sentence at the end means when it
> says, “Things deployed on a table, relying on local connections and
> alternatively exhibiting remote access across the Internet”  — does
> that mean that it will use the local IETF network but also
> potentially access devices or things that are external to the IETF
> network?

Yes, that could be the case.  A demo on-table in Toronto may access
sensor devices across the Internet located in other country.

> If so, could we rephrase it to say, "Things deployed on a table,
> connecting via the local IETF network in Toronto and/or
> demonstrating remote access across the Internet.”

Yes, that reads better.

> Or is the sentence clear enough as is and perhaps it’s just my own
> lack of understanding that is the issue :-)
>
> Also, is this the complete list of WG lists that we should send the
> email to:
>
> - 6lo WG - 6tisch WG - RoLL WG - lwig WG - ACE BoF - Core WG

In the illustration at
http://www.ietf.org/meeting/90/90-bits-n-bites.html
I noticed a position marker up in the picture.  I think that is very
relevant.

Maybe the call for demos could be enhanced with a geographical
networking aspect.  Maybe just a few words here and there.

I would suggest adding its@ietf.org (the GeoNet BoF) since it focuses on
geonet and has a side use-case for vehicular communications.  And also
geopriv@ietf.org (the GeoPriv WG).

This covers people with geo-location experience who may be interested in
demoing IoT geo-localization aspects.  Because typically geo-enabled
devices are small and thus Things (e.g. GPS receiver), important in
vehicular communications (geonet/its topic: dead-reckoning enhancements
for enhanced GPS localization, geo-dissemination), service applications
on smartphones (geopriv WG topics: google "geofeeds",
IP-to-LatLong-to-CivicAddress resolution mechanisms).

Alex