[Bridge-mib] RFC 4188 compliance clauses

"David B Harrington" <dbharrington@comcast.net> Mon, 24 October 2005 15:55 UTC

From: David B Harrington <dbharrington@comcast.net>
To: "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, "'Bridge-Mib (E-mail)'" <bridge-mib@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:54:48 -0400
Subject: [Bridge-mib] RFC 4188 compliance clauses
Sender: bridge-mib-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

RFC4188 is supposed to be a translation of the SMIv1 MIB module in
RFC1493 into SMIv2 format.

In the process of making this change, we ran across one object that
had been modeled in the MIB with a range. During an update of the
underlying technology, the IEEE managed variable changed the
permissible range. SMI rules prevent us from simply changing the range
to match the IEEE change.

bridgeCompliance1493 should contain dot1dStpPortGroup, with
dot1dStpPortPathCost with its range of (1..65535).

bridgeCompliance4188 should contain dot1dStpPortGroup2, with
dot1dStpPortPathCost32 with its range of (1..200000000).

We added some text to the definition of dot1dStpPortPathCost in
RFC4188:
"          New implementations should support dot1dStpPortPathCost32.
           If the port path costs exceeds the maximum value of this
           object then this object should report the maximum value,
           namely 65535.  Applications should try to read the
           dot1dStpPortPathCost32 object if this object reports
           the maximum value."

Unfortunately, we did not state whether new implementions should
continue to support the dot1dStpPortPathCost, and we did not deprecate
it, although we defined how to handle the interaction between the two
objects.

My interpretation of the two compliance clauses is:

If you want to be compliant with RFC1493 (to be interoperable with
implementations of 802.1D-1998 with RFC1493 MIB support), then you
should support dot1dStpPortPathCost.

If you want to be compliant with RFC4188 (to be interoperable with
implementations of 802.1D-1998 with 802.1t with RFC4188 MIB support),
then you should support dot1dStpPortPathCost32.

If you want to be compliant with devices that support 802.1D-1998 with
RFC1493 support, AND devices that support 802.1D-1998 with 802.1t with
RFC4188 MIB support, then you should implement BOTH
dot1dStpPortPathCost and dot1dStpPortPathCost32. If you support both
objects, then you should implement the logic in the description of
dot1dStpPortPathCost. If you support both, you may be able to claim
compliance to both bridgeCompliance1493 and bridgeCompliance4188.

We should recognize that NMSs that only understand RFC1493 logic for
dot1dStpPortPathCost may have problems if the value is set to 65535.

Conclusions:
I don't think that dot1dStpPortGroup and dot1dStpPortGroup2 need to be
changed. dot1dStpPortGroup3 can be eliminated.

bridgeCompliance1493 is fine as is.
bridgeCompliance4188 MANDATORY-GROUPS should be changed to include
dot1dBasePortGroup2 rather than dot1dBasePortGroup.

My $.02
David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net