[Bridge-mib] dot1dStpPortPriority

"Les Bell" <Les_Bell@eur.3com.com> Wed, 07 August 2002 08:00 UTC

From: Les Bell <Les_Bell@eur.3com.com>
To: Michael MacFaden <mrm@riverstonenet.com>
cc: bridge-mib@ietf.org, bwijnen@lucent.com, randy@psg.com, kzm@cisco.com, ah_smith@pacbell.net
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:55:03 +0100
Subject: [Bridge-mib] dot1dStpPortPriority
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

Mike, in response to you second issue...

> 2) dot1dStpPortPriority
>    The wording could be more specific as to what the issue is.
>    It currently reads:
>
>     "The value of the priority field which is contained in
>      the first (in network byte order) octet of the (2 octet long) Port ID.
>      The other octet of the Port ID is given by the value of
>      dot1dStpPort.  On newer bridges, permissible values are 0-240, in
>      steps of 16."
>
> I don't believe this change is backward compatible at all.  You can't
> simply change the values one can use.  This entirely new semantic requires
> a new object.  I simply can't see IESG MIB module reviewers accepting
> this a change. And exactly what is a "newer bridge" anyway?

The IEEE 802.1 WG chose the new implementation of the Port Priority to allow it
to be backward compatible with the currently deployed implementations, with the
intention that existing SNMP applications could still use the same object to
manage it.  The caveat is that, in a new agent implementation, i.e. an agent
that implements 802.1t/802.1w , some values may be rejected with a "bad value"
error, if it cannot accept the value given.

Perhaps one way to address this issue is to leave the DESCRIPTION of
dot1dStpPortPriority unchanged from RFC1493 and to define the more limited set
of values in a conformance clause for agents that support 802.1t/802.w.

Les...