RE: [Bridge-mib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bridge-8021x-02.txt

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Tue, 29 July 2003 10:14 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>, bridge-mib@ietf.org
Cc: stds-802-1@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bridge-8021x-02.txt
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:12:21 +0200
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

If we indeed have an Informational RFC that basically
republishes an IEEE doc, then we do not use the normal
copyright. For an ID, the guidelines say:

  Mandatory Statements
  ====================

  All Internet-Drafts must begin with ONE of the following three
  statements:

         This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to
         all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

         This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to
         all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the
         right to produce derivative works is not granted.

         This document is an Internet-Draft and is NOT offered in
         accordance with Section 10 of RFC2026, and the author does not
         provide the IETF with any rights other than to publish as an
         Internet-Draft

So it seems that the 2nd statement is probably the best statement
to be used in the I-D. Or, you might want to check section 5.2
of draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights-06.txt, which is onder IPR WG
Last Call now and probably will become the new practice soon.

Also, in the abstract, I would not talk about "this standard"
If anything, then maybe "this IEEE 802.1x standard" or some such.
But even that is questionable.... better just say "this IEEE 802.1x
specification" and let the IEEE keep their way of how they
decide something is a std or not.
Also, abstract talks about "this draft". Better use "this memo"
or "this document", so that it is still valid when it becomes an
RFC.

I think we still want to have a copyright statement in the
DESCRIPTION of the MODULE-IDENTITY. Since it points back to the
RFC, it will point to proper text, no?

Thanks,
Bert