RE: [Bridge-mib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bridge-rstpmib-02.txt

"Les Bell" <Les_Bell@eur.3com.com> Tue, 26 March 2002 16:47 UTC

From: Les Bell <Les_Bell@eur.3com.com>
To: Arozin@Opticalaccess.com
cc: bridge-mib@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:42:28 +0000
Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bridge-rstpmib-02.txt
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

Alex,

your suggestion for separate admin and oper values for the port path
cost was originally made on draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-smiv2-02.txt,
not the RSTP MIB.

I do understand the need to be able to configure a bridge to
automatically determine the path cost of a port, based on the link
speed, as recommended in the standards.  Once you administratively
assign a path cost, changing it again to a value equivalent to the
default value is not the same as automatically determining the path
cost and would not give the desired result if the port re-negotiates
its link speed.  The current MIB does not give us this capability.

I would like to hear some comments from the group, either in favour,
or against, this proposal.

If in favour, should it be added to the SMIv2 Bridge MIB, or the RSTP
MIB?  I prefer the to add it to the RSTP MIB, as the SMIv2 Bridge MIB
is intended only to update the language used for the SMIv1 Bridge MIB,
not to extend the mib.

Les...

alexr@nbase.co.il (Alex Ruzin) on 26/03/2002 13:31:17

Please respond to Arozin@Opticalaccess.com