RE: [Bridge-mib] FW: MIB copyright statement

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Wed, 30 July 2003 18:10 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>, bridge-mib@ietf.org
Cc: stds-802-1@ieee.org, "Scott Bradner (E-mail)" <sob@harvard.edu>
Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] FW: MIB copyright statement
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:07:44 +0200
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

I have not reacted much yet, because I am not good at
copy-right law (or any law for that matter).

But I have some comment/questions inline:

Thanks,
Bert

And so we point back to the RFC for the full legal notice.
I would personally have no problem to adapt the text somewhat
to also indicate IEEE copy-right. But which lawyer is goin to
formulate the proper text. The text we now use for MIB modules
has been passed by our IETF lawyer. If we modify it for this
specific MIB module, I guess we need to run it by our lawyer as
well.

> Another point to be noted is that extraction of a MIB module from
> an RFC (or an Internet-Draft) amounts to creation of a derivative
> work.  The IEEE can grant permission for the IETF to republish the
> MIB module in an informational RFC without necessarily granting
> permission for the MIB module to be extracted;  that permission
> needs to be granted separately.

If the MIB module cannot be extracted because derivative works
are not allowed, then I see no use at all to publish this MIB
document as an RFC.

An alternative option might be to publish the RFC without the MIB
module and just include a pointer to the inline MIB module at the
IEEE web site.

Bert