RE: [Bridge-mib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bridge-rstpmib-02.txt

"Ngai, Vivian" <vngai@enterasys.com> Tue, 26 March 2002 15:52 UTC

From: "Ngai, Vivian" <vngai@enterasys.com>
To: "'Arozin@Opticalaccess.com'" <Arozin@Opticalaccess.com>
Cc: bridge-mib@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bridge-rstpmib-02.txt
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:50:16 -0500
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

Alex,

I see the the extra variable as redundant...or maybe I just don't understand
what you mean...

It seems to me that if both the "admin" and the "oper" version of the
variables will be set to the same value at the same time.  So why an extra
variable?  From what I understand, the other parameters have both versions
defined only because the actual operational value changes according to the
environment, i.e. according to the values received/determined from the
BPDUs.  The "admin" version, therefore, stores the desired local value and
the "oper" version stores the actual value used in the network.

I guess we can define the "admin" version just like you say, but I don't
understand how the operational value can be changed automatically.  I'm not
aware of any PDUs that would force you to use a 16-bit or a 32-bit port
cost.  So if you believe we need this, can you propose an algorithm/state
machine for choosing the right value?

Regards,
Vivian