[Bridge-mib] RE: draft-ietf-bridge-rstpmib-04.txt

"David Levi" <dlevi@nortelnetworks.com> Thu, 22 April 2004 17:16 UTC

From: David Levi <dlevi@nortelnetworks.com>
To: "'Harrington, David'" <dbh@enterasys.com>, "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Cc: "'Bridge-mib@ietf.org'" <Bridge-mib@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:49:02 -0700
Subject: [Bridge-mib] RE: draft-ietf-bridge-rstpmib-04.txt
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

Hi David,

Here's the replacement text I promised.

On page 6, change this:

   In a device supporting the 32-bit default Path Costs defined in IEEE
   802.1t Table 8-5, the interpretation of objects in this group is
   unchanged except for the following:

   dot1dStpPortPathCost
        Definition remains unchanged, but the permissible values are
        extended to 1-200,000,000.

to this:

   In a device supporting the 32-bit default Path Costs defined in IEEE
   802.1t Table 8-5, the object dot1dStpPortPathCost32 [XXX] should be used
   rather than the older object dot1dStpPortPathCost.  The newer object
   supports the expanded range of 1-200,000,000.

Note that there would need to be a reference to the latest BRIDGE-MIB
document (where I put [XXX]).  But that document is not yet published as
an RFC.  I guess this change depends on advancement of that document.

I had suggested changing the SYNTAX of dot1dStpPortProtocolMigration from
TruthValue to just an enumerated INTEGER.  I looked more closely at the
802.1w
document, and this parameter is described there as a boolean value.  The
description there is kind of odd, as it basically says you can set the value
to TRUE, but that when you do, it will be immediately set back to FALSE.
Anyway, I guess this is why TruthValue was used in the MIB.  I could go
either
way on this, but if other people think it makes sense to change the SYNTAX,
here's what I'd suggest:

dot1dStpPortProtocolMigration OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                    transmitRstpBpdus(1)
                }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "When operating in RSTP (version 2) mode, setting this
         object forces this port to transmit RSTP BPDUs.  Any
         other operation on this object has no effect and it
         always returns transmitRstpBpdus(2) when read."
    REFERENCE
        "IEEE 802.1w clause 14.8.2.4, 17.18.10, 17.26"
    ::= { dot1dStpExtPortEntry 1 }

For the DESCRIPTION of dot1dStpPortAdminEdgePort, I'd suggest:
    DESCRIPTION
        "The administrative value of the Edge Port parameter.  A
         value of TRUE(1) indicates that this port should be
         assumed as an edge-port and a value of FALSE(2) indicates
         that this port should be assumed as a non-edge-port.
         Setting this object will also cause the corresponding
         instance of dot1dStpPortOperEdgePort to change to the
         same value.  Note that even when this object's value
         is true, the value of the corresponding instance of
         dot1dStpPortOperEdgePort can be false if a BPDU has
         been received."
and for dot1dStpPortOperEdgePort:
    DESCRIPTION
        "The operational value of the Edge Port parameter.  The
         object is initialized to the value of the corresponding
         instance of dot1dStpPortAdminEdgePort.  When the
         corresponding instance of dot1dStpPortAdminEdgePort is
         set, this object will be changed as well.  This object
         will also be changed to FALSE on reception of a BPDU."

-Dave