RE: [Bridge-mib] Future directions

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Fri, 02 April 2004 22:10 UTC

Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] Future directions
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:51:54 +0200
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "Harrington, David" <dbh@enterasys.com>, Bridge-mib@ietf.org
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

My 2 agorot (~ 0.8 cents) in-text.

Regards,

Dan

yes

> 2) Will you participate in the IEEE 802.1 process for
> developing the mib
> modules?

yes

> 3) Do you agree the bridgemib WG should be closed down, since it will
> have completed its charter?

yes

> For future mibs produced by IEEE:
> 4) Should they also be published as RFCs?
> If they are published as RFCs, this would probably be as Informational
> only. The IEEE standard would be the official version, and to
> the degree
> we could achieve it, the IETF might publish a mirror copy.

yes, if the IEEE 802.1 WG wishes it so.

> 5) Synchronization between IEEE/IETF review/publishing cycles
> has proven
> difficult, so we are considering publishing Informational
> RFCs with only
> a pointer to the IEEE standard. Would that suffice?

yes. If this was a problem for a large base of customers or users of these MIBs, we would have seen a more consistent participation in the Bridge MIB WG.

> For existing 802.1-related MIBs (1493, 1525, 2674, et al):
> 6) Should these be moved to the IEEE?

yes, if the IEEE 802.1 WG wishes so.

> 7) If not, why not? How should the IETF mib modules be
> maintained as the
> IEEE 802.1 technologies change?

No, because this becomes an IEEE problem. The last years experience shows that there is no longer enough interest in the IETF to sustain IEEE 802.1 MIBs development and maintenance.

> 8) If yes, what should we do with the existing standards? Would making
> them Historic and replacing them with Informational RFCs that point to
> the IEEE standards documents suffice?

One Informational RFC defining this process, and pointing to the IEEE standards documents would be welcome.