Re: [btns] Fwd: [anonsec] Fwd: Review of draft-ietf-btns-c-api-03

Miika Komu <miika.komu@hiit.fi> Tue, 24 March 2009 10:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:37:37 +0200
From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@hiit.fi>
To: btns@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [btns] Fwd: [anonsec] Fwd: Review of draft-ietf-btns-c-api-03

Julien Laganier wrote:

Hi,

> Folks,
>
> Vijay Gurbani has reviewed the BTNS C API and kindly agreed to
> let me forward it to the mailing list, please see it below.
>
> Many thanks to Vijay!

thanks Vijay and apologies for really late response. Sasu handled this
round of  iteration and has addressed most of your comments. There are
still many details to be filled. The updated draft is in here:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-c-api-04.txt

Nico and Michael seem to have updated abstract APIs draft.

> Subject:
> Review of draft-ietf-btns-c-api-03
> From:
> "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com>
> Date:
> Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:36:16 -0500
> To:
> mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca, Nicolas.Williams@sun.com, miika@iki.fi,
> sasu.tarkoma@hiit.fi
>
> To:
> mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca, Nicolas.Williams@sun.com, miika@iki.fi,
> sasu.tarkoma@hiit.fi
> CC:
> lha@stacken.kth.se, julien.ietf@laposte.net, Tim Polk
> <tim.polk@nist.gov>, chris.newman@sun.com, lisa@osafoundation.org, Eric
> Burger <eburger@bea.com>, APPS-REVIEW@ietf.org
>

> Dr. Richardson et al.: I was asked by the Applications area to review
> draft-ietf-btns-c-api-03.
>
> Here is a review of it, following a similar one I did last week for
> draft-ietf-btns-abstract-api-01.
>
> draft-ietf-btns-c-api-03
> -------------------------------
> As a follow-up draft to draft-ietf-btns-abstract-api, the reasons
> why this document is important are much the same as why the latter
> one was important.  I do note that this document appears to be
> more fleshed out than its abstract-api counterpart, whereas I would
> have expected the opposite.  For instance, the Security Considerations
> section of the abstract-api I-D was empty, and the one for c-api
> is filled out.  Ostensibly, the Security Considerations section
> for the abstract-api should be the one that could be filled out
> and "inherited", if you will, by a language-specific binding
> document that fulfills the abstract-api one.

We can move the security section to the other draft if it is ok for Nico
and Michael? We can move also some parts of the intro.

> Furthermore, and I think this is important, the c-api document
> should do more to align itself with the abstract-api document
> since the latter document asserts the shape of the information
> in the c-api document.  For instance, S2.3.2 of c-api contains
> the attributes of a pToken.  Clearly, these are related to
> S7 of abstract-api (Properties of pToken objects).  Likewise,
> S2.2.2 of c-api is similarly related to S8 of abstract-api.
> Currently, there is a lack of such close cross referencing
> between these documents.  I suspect that the c-api is the
> first language binding document; thus, any time spent now in
> such cross-referencing will pay for itself later when c-api
> is used as a template for a Java-api or c++-api document.

Added the few references, but there is clearly still more room for
improvement.

You should find rest of your focused comments in the draft.