Re: [caldav] WebDAv collection sync: last issue

Andrew McMillan <andrew@morphoss.com> Tue, 08 June 2010 04:14 UTC

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew@morphoss.com>
To: Tim Hare <TimHare@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:13:52 +1200
Cc: caldav@ietf.org, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org, vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [caldav] WebDAv collection sync: last issue

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 20:47 -0400, Tim Hare wrote:
> I am not an implementor, but it seems to me that many Calendar/addressbook
> collections might be depth:2 to accomodate groups like mailing lists ?

Hi Tim,

Yes, that could be one way of implementing such things, though the
specifications for CalDAV explicitly state that calendar collections may
not contain collections.

In DAViCal I did implement multiple-calendars-as-one-calendar by
allowing collections of calendars (or more typically bindings to
calendars) to present as if they were a calendar.  In order to avoid
stepping on the specification I gave these collections a special
resourcetype.

FWIW DAViCal's implementation of WebDAV sync is OK with depth infinity,
since (as the other poster points out) it makes little difference for
query based systems.

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

> Tim Hare
> Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
               Chicken Little only has to be right once.