[caldav] WebDAv collection sync: last issue

Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name> Mon, 07 June 2010 15:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:57:09 -0400
From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Cc: caldav@ietf.org, vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: [caldav] WebDAv collection sync: last issue

Hi folks,
The latest WebDAV collection sync draft is here:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-daboo-webdav-sync/>. We believe we
are close to done with this and would like to submit to the IESG soon.
However, there is one open issue that we need feedback from implementors on.

The question is whether collection resources that are immediate children of
the collection being targeted for the REPORT should be reported as
"modified" if any of their child resources (depth infinity) are modified.

Key points:

1) We have deliberately scoped the REPORT defined in this draft to be
Depth:1 only - i.e. it will only report changes to immediate children.
Depth:infinity change reporting was ruled out at this time (though
eventually we would expect to see it defined if there is interest).

2) The first real implementations of this REPORT are being done for CalDAV
and CardDAV servers where typically calendar/addressbook collections only
have immediate child resources and not collections - so the draft as
currently written is fine. (BTW there are already several client and server
implementations of this draft that have been tested at various interops).
However, my concern is that more "general" WebDAV servers may wish to do
reporting of changes to immediate child collections to allow clients to
progressively sync an entire hierarchy.

3) Reporting changes to immediate child collections requires any change at
depth:infinity within those collections to "bubble up" - i.e. a change with
a collection changes its DAV:sync-token and the properties of all its
parent collections. This potentially places a big performance burden on the
server - particularly if it were to choose to support the REPORT on the
root resource. In reality servers would probably limit the scope of the
report to a reasonable "sub-hierarchy" set (e.g. CalDAV and CardDAV servers
would only support the REPORT on calendar or address book home collections
and not on any parents of those).

--
Cyrus Daboo