RE: [Call-home] draft minutes

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Fri, 18 November 2005 17:45 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: 'Eliot Lear' <lear@cisco.com>, call-home@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Call-home] draft minutes
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:44:10 +0100
Sender: call-home-bounces@ietf.org

Eliot,

nits:
- pls check for spelling errors.
- You also made a few "duplicate words or sets of words"

help:
- the gentleman from a cable company was Jean-Francois Mule
  from cablelabs

My comment you recorded:

   Bert Wijnen:
   SNMPv3 can send a coldstart trap, but this does not mean it addresses
   the call home problem.

I was reacting to Keith's comment on "cold start" and the question of
"who would initiate the session".
First, I think keith also brought up that an agent can send a "cold
start" today and then the manager can start communicating with the agent.
And with SSH such might not be possible/easy.

And so my comment was to make clear that if in the current SNMPv3 world,
if an agent is behind a NAT, then it can send a (UDP) "cold start".
But the Manager can still not setup a "connection" or "manage" the
device behind the NAT, because it may still (certainly not after a
while) be reachable from the manager. So my point is: it is not a
new problem specific to SSH. I agree that SSH may add additional
aspects to the problem.

Bert