Re: [Captive-portals] Improve the user experience of captive portals as they're commonly understood and currently deployed

Kyle Larose <klarose@sandvine.com> Mon, 17 April 2017 22:52 UTC

From: Kyle Larose <klarose@sandvine.com>
To: David Bird <dbird@google.com>, Erik Kline <ek@google.com>
CC: "captive-portals@ietf.org" <captive-portals@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 22:52:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.196.10]
x-c2processedorg: b2f06e69-072f-40ee-90c5-80a34e700794
Subject: Re: [Captive-portals] Improve the user experience of captive portals as they're commonly understood and currently deployed

I also agree that the only new component is the API server. We have extended the responsibilities of the others, or maybe, to put it differently, tried to solidify them (since as David pointed out, many devices were already doing many of these things).

It looks like most of the discussion recently has been centered around the responsibilities of the Captive Portal Enforcement device and the CAPPORT API server.

How can we go about coming to a consensus on these? Should we propose a few options, along with their pros and cons, then vote on them? Once we've done that, the architecture could capture the results, and the drafts that discuss implementations/protocols/standards/etc to satisfy those components can expand further.

Does that make sense?