Re: [Captive-portals] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-capport-architecture-08: (with COMMENT)

David Dolson <ddolson@acm.org> Mon, 15 June 2020 02:32 UTC

Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:31:56 -0400
From: David Dolson <ddolson@acm.org>
To: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>
Cc: Kyle Larose <kyle@agilicus.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-capport-architecture@ietf.org, capport-chairs@ietf.org, captive-portals <captive-portals@ietf.org>, Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
Subject: Re: [Captive-portals] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-capport-architecture-08: (with COMMENT)

One comment from me regarding this exchange:
>     >      Typically User Equipment is permitted access to a small
> number of
>     >     services and is
>     >       denied general network access until it satisfies the
> Captive Portal
>     >     Conditions.
>     >
>     >     Perhaps we could add some language indicating that this isn't
> intended
>     >     to be a normative requirement -- the restrictions placed by
> the
>     >     captive portal depend on its use-case.
      > EV> you may add "(.g., local communication)" after "small number
of services" ?

     KL> Thanks for the suggestion! We'll clarify along those lines.

I don't think "local", implying physical proximity, is the correct word.
There are multiple technologies for serving DHCP, DNS, user portal, API,
etc. from
*remote* machines. I feel that adding "e.g., local communication" would
add more
confusion than clarity.

How about, "... permitted access to a small number of services
(according to the
policies of the network provider) and is denied general network
access..."

-Dave