[Captive-portals] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-capport-api-07: (with DISCUSS)

Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 11 June 2020 13:38 UTC

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-capport-api@ietf.org, capport-chairs@ietf.org, captive-portals@ietf.org, Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>, mt@lowentropy.net
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 06:38:40 -0700
Subject: [Captive-portals] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-capport-api-07: (with DISCUSS)

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-capport-api-07: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-capport-api/

DISCUSS:

Section 4.1:

   The API server endpoint MUST be accessed using HTTP over TLS (HTTPS)
   and SHOULD be served on port 443 [RFC2818].

I have another reason than Roman to discuss this particular sentence.

First of all what is the intention of which HTTP version should be supported
here? And which protocol are the port 443 you are recommending, TCP, UDP or
SCTP? This also relates to HTTP/3 as it is getting close to being published, we
can expect that in the future maybe people would like to upgrade to HTTP/3.
Already now I am wondering if the written allow for HTTP/2 over TLS/TCP? Note,
that I am mostly commenting from the perspective if you want to be specific
that it is HTTP/1.1. over TLS/TCP that is the goal. Then this document should
make certain changes in the formulation. If you want to be unspecific and don't
think that will hurt interoperability, then another formulation that the
current is also needed. Likely also a discussion about how a client will figure
out what versions are supported.

And maybe one of the ART ADs can help untangle if RFC 2818 really is the right
normative reference here? Or if it should be RFC 7230 and possibly additional
references for HTTP/2?