[Captive-portals] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-capport-architecture-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 08 June 2020 14:06 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-capport-architecture@ietf.org, capport-chairs@ietf.org, captive-portals@ietf.org, Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>, mt@lowentropy.net
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 07:06:47 -0700
Subject: [Captive-portals] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-capport-architecture-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-capport-architecture-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-capport-architecture/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. The document is easy to read. I
also appreciate the fact that "devices without user interfaces" are not ignored
by this document.

Please find below a couple on non-blocking COMMENTs. A response/comment for
those COMMENT will be read with interest.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

Is there a reason why the words "captive portal" do not appear in the abstract?
This would assist normal human beings (outside of the WG) to find the document.

I found no text about what happens to the traffic inside the captive network.
Is it allowed even when still in captive mode ?

-- Section 1.2 --
Even if the document support "devices without user interfaces", I wonder why
the I-D uses "User Equipment" rather than "Client Equipment" (which is also
more aligned with "Server"). Nothing dramatic, just curious about the reason.

-- Section 2.1 --
"At this time we consider only devices with web browsers" while the previous
text was about "devices without user interfaces". Finally, is this document for
devices with or without human interface ?

-- Section 2.6 --
While the components are described as being optional collocated, what about
resiliency ? I.e., having two different instances on one component.

-- Section 3.4.2 ---
While I appreciate that the section contains text about multiple IPv6
addresses, I suggest to mention the dual-stack use case explicitly.

-- Section  3.4 --
I was expecting to see the MAC address also used as identifier. Is there any
reason why it is not mentioned? If so, may I suggest to document the absence of
a MAC address section in the examples?