Re: [Capwap] NAT issue and new message element

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Tue, 26 January 2010 10:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:15:31 +0100
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: young <young@h3c.com>, mrw@lilacglade.org, "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <mmani@avaya.com>
Cc: capwap-chairs@tools.ietf.org, capwap@frascone.com, Richard <rishyang@gmail.com>, yozhang@gmail.com, "Bert (IETF) Wijnen" <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
Subject: Re: [Capwap] NAT issue and new message element

Second thought - adding a new message element would require the document to be Standards Track because it updates RFC 5415. Another IETF Last Call would be mandatory for this purpose. I was not thinking about reissuing 5415, but working in sections 9.1 and 9.2 of this document.

To stay with informational status you need to use the vendorID. Would existing implementations accept vendorID = 0 as the 'CAPWAP vendorID' or would they report an error for a zero value? The protocol implementers need again have their saying, bit if zero can be an error than you can apply for a CAPWAP WG vendor ID (the registry at http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers is FCFS) and use it leaving the rest exactly as defined currently in the document.

BTW - the current problem is a good example of the consequences of defining the management interface after the protocol, and not while the protocol is designed. Unfortunately many WGs in the IETF make this mistake.

Regards,

Dan