Re: [Casm] Which interfaces does CASM plan on standardizing?

"Xie Chongfeng" <xiechf.bri@chinatelecom.cn> Wed, 15 February 2017 14:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 22:09:51 +0800
From: Xie Chongfeng <xiechf.bri@chinatelecom.cn>
To: "marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca" <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>, bclaise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "CASM@ietf.org" <CASM@ietf.org>
Cc: "lichen.bri@chinatelecom.cn" <lichen.bri@chinatelecom.cn>, "'Liushucheng (Will)'" <liushucheng@huawei.com>, "wanghn.bri@chinatelecom.cn" <wanghn.bri@chinatelecom.cn>
Subject: Re: [Casm] Which interfaces does CASM plan on standardizing?

Hi,Benoit and all,

This subject was originally raised by China Telecom, our use case is clear and straightforward.  In CT's network, there are tens of thousands of BRAS equipments,which are the major gateway to the broadband users. When the vBRAS was introduced, the volume will be even higher. Network operation team needs configure manaually IP address pool in each
BRAS/vBRAS, which are time-consuming and low -efficient. Can DHCP solve this problem? The answer is NO, since DHCP deals with address allocation for end users.

In order to autimate the configuration process and improve the IP adress usage, a centralized address pool managment approach may be more reasonable. We discucssed with verdors and carriers, we found that there have been some proprioritary inplementations, they differ in the south-bound interface, so  we propose to standardize the south-bound interface in the early stage, which will benefit to all the players.

Since the requirements are pressing to CT, we begun the filed trial last year and 3 vendors have implementated the interface defined in draft-sun-i2apm-address-pool-management-yang, luckily they all passed the field test by our joint efforts.

As mentioned in other drafts of CASM, the address management capability will be  opened to other applications,such as SDN and Cloud , the  north-bound interface will be standanized as well.

Of course, in order to define the interface and its relatvie workflow, a unified framwork or architecture will need to be defined in advance.

Thank you!

Chongfeng Xie

xiechf.bri@chinatelecom.cn