fragmentation

Robert L Ullmann <ariel@world.std.com> Wed, 23 March 1994 02:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 20:56:58 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Robert L Ullmann <ariel@world.std.com>
To: catnip@world.std.com
Subject: fragmentation

Hi,

I won't say who pointed this out, but someone just told me something
*very* amusing.

RFC791, (everyone has implemented this, right? You know, STD 1 :-) p26

" The Fragment Offset field identifies the fragment
    location, relative to the beginning of the original unfragmented
    datagram."

Right. Then it goes on to specify a buggy (consider that variable FO
is not initialized :-) algorithm for fragmentation and then reassembly.
Did anyone read the algorithm? It implies that the fragment offset is
relative to TPDU-start ("the data"), which is (as CATNIP says) the way
it *ought* to have been done. Has anyone actually done this? Or have
you followed the text? Do the existing implementations actually
interoperate?

Certainly the TPDU-start-relative method is easier to translate ...

Best Regards,
Robert