Re: [Cbor] 7049bis: The concept of "optional tagging" is not really used in practice #126

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Sun, 03 November 2019 21:48 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Laurence Lundblade' <lgl@island-resort.com>, 'Christophe Lohr' <christophe.lohr@imt-atlantique.fr>
CC: cbor@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 13:48:01 -0800
Subject: Re: [Cbor] 7049bis: The concept of "optional tagging" is not really used in practice #126

From: CBOR <cbor-bounces@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Laurence Lundblade
Sent: Sunday, November 3, 2019 8:46 AM
To: Christophe Lohr <christophe.lohr@imt-atlantique.fr>
Cc: cbor@ietf.org

I’m not really a data structure scientist or such, but I think I can see Christophe’s point.

Maybe CBOR-based (and JSON-based) protocols don’t have a formal schema language, but these protocols rely on ordering and such. For example in a COSE_Sign1 it is expected that the first data item is the protected headers, the second the unprotected headers, the third the payload and the fourth the signature. I don’t think you can call them self-describing.

[JLS] I consider the term self-describing to be a completely different beast.  The data can be parsed without the knowledge of the schema.  This is not a true statement with ASN.1 where a data description label, such as this is a SEQUENCE can be replace with a tag and the parser without the schema has no idea what the data type and structure of the data type is supposed to be.  This is not an issue for XML either as far as I know.

Jim

It seems like CBOR and JSON say “no schema’” to distance from the horror of XML schemas, but in reality CDDL and prose protocol specs are schemas in spirit.

Maybe a key question here is whether you can say in CDDL “this next item must always be interpreted as a date even though it will never have a date tag”. If CDDL doesn’t have than, then you can’t describe some CBOR-protocols with it. CWT would be one of those protocols as it forbids adding the tag to dates.

To summarize what I understand about tagging:

The designer of a new CBOR data item type like a date format will generally register a tag for it. These new data types can be really simple, like epoch dates or really complex like COSE_Sign1.

The designer of a protocol using a new data type will indicate in their protocol for each occurrence of it whether the tag must be present or not (never saying the tag may or may not be present). The designer will typically require the tag only when necessary to disambiguate the type of the data item.

The implementor of a general purpose library to generate one of these new data item types must give the caller the option to include or not include the tag. Maybe this is just by never automatically outputting the tag and having a distinct output tag function.

The implementor of a general purpose library to decode one of these new data types must allow the caller to say that the next data item should be decoded as this new data type whether or not it is tagged. Maybe it even errors out if it is tagged for the cases where the protocol document says no tag should be used.

What I don’t know is whether CDDL can describe all this desired behavior.

LL