[Cbor] Adam Roach's Block on charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: (with BLOCK)

Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 26 June 2019 03:59 UTC

From: Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: cbor-chairs@ietf.org, cbor@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 20:59:17 -0700
Subject: [Cbor] Adam Roach's Block on charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: (with BLOCK)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-cbor/

BLOCK:

This is a "DISCUSS-discuss" style block, in the spirit of backing up and making
sure we're making the right overall decision here.

I'd like us to have a short conversation about whether it makes sense for the
CDDL work to continue in the CBOR working group. Given that it has been
rescoped and renamed to be a more general-purpose schema language covering not
just CBOR, but the much broader JSON universe, it seems that this work is
extremely likely to have a broad constituency outside of those people who
typically participate in working groups that focus on IoT use-cases. Keeping it
part of CBOR does not seem to serve that community well.

Should we consider splitting the CDDL update and maintenance work off into a
separate working group, rather than rechartering CBOR with the rather
significant expansion considered in this charter proposal?