Re: [Cbor] Supporting IPv6 Link-Local with scope (was Re: Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT))

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Tue, 05 October 2021 21:42 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 23:42:02 +0200
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "d3e3e3@gmail.com" <d3e3e3@gmail.com>, "draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses@ietf.org>, "barryleiba@computer.org" <barryleiba@computer.org>, "cbor-chairs@ietf.org" <cbor-chairs@ietf.org>, "cbor@ietf.org" <cbor@ietf.org>
To: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Cbor] Supporting IPv6 Link-Local with scope (was Re: Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT))

On 5. Oct 2021, at 23:14, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <evyncke@cisco.com> wrote:

> Michael
>
> The problem is indeed solvable.

I think the perception we arrived at when we did explore solving it was that the ifindex/ifname issue was too much in flux to commit to either.
YANG ietf-inet-types can simply ignore that problem because YANG is all textual anyway:

(N is numbers, L is letters, so 03Å and 17 and FARP and 𝔈𝔗ℌ0 are all great zone identifiers — you don’t even get to know whether 17 is an ifname or an ifindex).

> My own take would be not to use ifIndex (for the reasons you just explained) also it could be confusing with another encoding as both (length & ifindex) are uint...

That is more of a secondary concern then — we’d first like to get the information model level data types right.

> As I wrote in my ballot, an alternative (not so nice though) would be to clearly state that the encoding is not applicable to LLA + scope

Tags are cheap enough.
52 and 54 are the CBOR “no-zone” equivalents then, and we can always define tags for potentially zoned addresses once the ifindex/ifname issue converges.

(I do not have a *strong* opinion that this is the right decision, but I think the reasons we arrived where we are, do make sense.)

Grüße, Carsten