[Cbor] Mirja Kühlewind's Block on charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: (with BLOCK)

Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 26 June 2019 15:27 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: cbor-chairs@ietf.org, cbor@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:27:44 -0700
Subject: [Cbor] Mirja Kühlewind's Block on charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: (with BLOCK)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-cbor/

BLOCK:

Not sure if my two points justify a block, so I'm happy to change my position
if other ADs tell me to, but I'm also not certain if I want to go for "No
Objection".

Here are my points:

1) First on this:
"After that, the CBOR working group will monitor issues found with the CBOR
specification and, if needed, will produce an updated document." This intention
seems to contradict the idea of an Internet Standard in RFC2026 a bit:
   "A specification for which significant implementation and successful
   operational experience has been obtained may be elevated to the
   Internet Standard level.  An Internet Standard (which may simply be
   referred to as a Standard) is characterized by a high degree of
   technical maturity and by a generally held belief that the specified
   protocol or service provides significant benefit to the Internet
   community."
Maybe this is nit-picking but if the group is not sure if there are further
issue, one should probably simply not push for Internet Standard...

2) I find the later part of the charter rather generic (starting which "There
are a number of additional CBOR tagged types..."). I also don't really
understand the difference of "General purpose" and "Internet-wide". These are
two different aspects for me that don't exclude each other. I would rather like
to see a charter that actually limits the technical scope rather than talking
about a generic process (that may or could be or is applied in other groups as
well).