Re: [Cbor] Mirja Kühlewind's Block on charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: (with BLOCK)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Tue, 02 July 2019 15:52 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 17:52:51 +0200
Cc: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, cbor@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, cbor-chairs@ietf.org
To: Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: [Cbor] Mirja Kühlewind's Block on charter-ietf-cbor-01-01: (with BLOCK)

Hi Carsten,

See inline.

> On 2. Jul 2019, at 16:44, Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> Hi Mirja,
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, at 5:46 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> Hi Mirja,
>>
>> good points.  Details below.
>>
>>> On Jun 26, 2019, at 17:27, Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:

>>> BLOCK:
>>>
>>> Not sure if my two points justify a block, so I'm happy to change my position
>>> if other ADs tell me to, but I'm also not certain if I want to go for "No
>>> Objection".
>>>
>>> Here are my points:
>>>
>>> 1) First on this:
>>> "After that, the CBOR working group will monitor issues found with the CBOR
>>> specification and, if needed, will produce an updated document." This intention
>>> seems to contradict the idea of an Internet Standard in RFC2026 a bit:
>>>  "A specification for which significant implementation and successful
>>>  operational experience has been obtained may be elevated to the
>>>  Internet Standard level.  An Internet Standard (which may simply be
>>>  referred to as a Standard) is characterized by a high degree of
>>>  technical maturity and by a generally held belief that the specified
>>>  protocol or service provides significant benefit to the Internet
>>>  community."
>>> Maybe this is nit-picking but if the group is not sure if there are further
>>> issue, one should probably simply not push for Internet Standard…
>>
>> Of course the group is sure about that!!!1one
>>
>> Some STD documents do have updates (say, RFC 791 is updated by RFC1349,
>> RFC2474,     RFC6864), but I would actually also feel better without
>> this apparent escape hatch.  We do want to get this right!
>
> Ok, I suggest we remove "After that, the CBOR working group will monitor issues found with the CBOR specification
> and, if needed, will produce an updated document." This would always remain a future possibility, even if the document is an Internet Standard.

I think that makes sense. Thanks!

>>> 2) I find the later part of the charter rather generic (starting which "There
>>> are a number of additional CBOR tagged types..."). I also don't really
>>> understand the difference of "General purpose" and "Internet-wide". These are
>>> two different aspects for me that don't exclude each other. I would rather like
>>> to see a charter that actually limits the technical scope rather than talking
>>> about a generic process (that may or could be or is applied in other groups as
>>> well).
>
> Are you suggesting that the Charter should just list specific documents and require rechartering once the work is done?

Yes, I think that would actually be the better approach, where document should not be specific drafts but specific work items.

>> My fault.  This was specifically about CBOR Tag definitions, until we
>> noticed that we might be having some glue/housekeeping like the CBOR
>> sequence document.  But really, this is almost all about CBOR Tag
>> definitions.
>>
>> General purpose vs. Internet-wide: Not all usage of CBOR occurs on the
>> Internet, so there is a difference, but yes, these generally will
>> overlap.  (Example for non-Internet usage: CBOR can be a great log file
>> format.)
>>
>> So when is a Tag spec in scope:  When we expect a general purpose
>> and/or Internet-wide usage of the Tag (or other CBOR specific
>> housekeeping document like a media type definition).
>
> Is any clarification needed on this point?

I think my confusion is about listing hem as separate items on the implication on the decision. However, if the group decided to rather list specific items instead, I guess this part is not needed anymore.

Mirja