[Cbor] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic-11: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 19 April 2022 12:36 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic@ietf.org, cbor-chairs@ietf.org, cbor@ietf.org, christian@amsuess.com, christian@amsuess.com
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:36:43 -0700
Subject: [Cbor] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic-11: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic-11: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. This document describes a nice
addition to CBOR.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Christian Amsüss for the shepherd's write-up even if the
justification for the intended status is somehow weak (but at least present).

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## General comment

I was about to ballot a DISCUSS due to the absence of BCP14 and any normative
language in a standard track document. Explanations from the authors/WG/AD will
be more than welcome as I am not convinced by the shepherd's explanation
("let's avoid down ref in the future").

## Abstract

Just wondering whether the "on-disk" actually reflects the use of the Unix
`file` command as this command also works on many other file systems / storage.

The abstract seems to indicate that there is ONE format while the rest of the
document is about THREE formats. Suggest to update the abstract to reflect the
choice among 3 formats.

## Section 1

Unsure whether the comparison of Unix file with TCP/IP stream brings any value.

Should there be a reference for "MIME type" ?

Should there be a reference for "media type registration template" ?

BTW, this section reads like a nice set of anecdotes, which is easy to read,
but a more logical flow would be a plus for the reader.

A reference to CBOR RFC 8742 is probably required.

"magic number" should perhaps be introduced before citing it ?

Unsure whether the paragraph "A major inspiration ..." brings any value to the
text.

## Section 1.2

Is the 'magic number' unique per CBOR protocol or just for any CBOR protocol?
(i.e., this definition seems really restricted to CBOR and not to `file`)
Should it also be distinct from other 'magic numbers' in /etc/magic ?

## Section 2

I am confused, and probably misread the document, but earlier I had the
impression that THREE methods will be specified in this document and this
section defines only TWO.

## Section 2.1

Should the 4-byte magic number be different than the existing 'magic numbers'
supported by `file` ?

## Section 2.2.1

I must be really confused (and sorry about that) but the example contains a
0x00 which contradicts the above "avoid values that have an embedded zero byte"
(from section 2.1).

## Section 3

I really love the "COVID vaccination certificate that needs to be displayed in
QR code form" example (just use "COVID-19" perhaps) but should a reference be
added ?

The considerations for the protocol designers do not really fit my ideas about
a standard track document but rather of a BCP.

# NITS

## Section 1

In "two possible methods of enveloping data are presented: a CBOR Protocol
designer will specify one", should the ":" rather be a ";" ? Anyway, the RFC
editor will review it ;-)

## Section 2.3

Please be consistent with the use of lower case or upper case for hexadecimal
numbers, e.g., 0x42_4f_52