Re: [Cbor] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic-11: (with COMMENT)

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Thu, 21 April 2022 10:52 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:52:39 +0200
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic@ietf.org, CBOR Working Group <cbor-chairs@ietf.org>, cbor@ietf.org, Christian Amsüss <christian@amsuess.com>
To: John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [Cbor] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic-11: (with COMMENT)

Hi John,

thank you for this review.

Michael already pointed out that some of your comments have been addressed in our collection of proposed changes in response to previously submitted IESG comments:

https://github.com/cbor-wg/cbor-magic-number/pull/21

I also have made a small new commit at

https://github.com/cbor-wg/cbor-magic-number/pull/21/commits/cf1f41a
with items that were not yet covered.

Grüße, Carsten

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thanks for this document. It seems useful, and the core specification
> part in Section 2 is clear and understandable.

Thank you.

> That said, it could be even friendlier to someone approaching it as a
> CBOR n00b. I don't think that's a major concern, because I can’t
> imagine why someone other than a hapless IESG member would approach this
> document cold, without some reasonable background in CBOR. Still, if you
> want an example of what I'm talking about, the casual "so that there are
> no leading zeroes" in Section 2.1, with no whys or wherefores, felt a
> bit like a scavenger hunt.

This was meant to become clear from the next sentence; I now have clarified this sentence a bit.

> I also agree with a number of Lars's comments (in particular, what's a...
> disk? Some technology from the 1900s?). Also Zahed's suggestion to move
> Section 3 to an appendix.

Already addressed, except for moving Section 3 to an appendix — doing that surgery would disturb the diffs right now, but I’ll keep it on the list of potential final changes.

> Finally, while I am quibbling about style, I thought the trips down
> memory lane and visits to sites of software grievances of Christmas
> Past in Sections 1 and 3 slowed down the read without adding insight.

I think we already have cleaned this up a bit.
More generally speaking maybe my teaching background shows through too much when I say that this kind of background information can be very useful to a new reader.  (Can be — but if a reader knows all this, they can skim this quickly.)

I take this input as an encouragement to make more use of structuring in future specifications, e.g. moving small pieces of material like this into <aside> blocks.

> Finally, I do have one specific comment on where the text is unclear in
> Section 2.2:
>
>   A CBOR Protocol specification may specify the use of two tags only
>   for specific cases.  For instance, it might use them when storing the
>   representation in a local file or for Web access, but not when using
>   them in protocol messages that already provide the necessary context.
>
> The first sentence reads like a prohibition on specification of two tags
> for general cases. (I don't know what that would mean, it's just a
> straightforward way to parse it. "May" combined with "only" is
> the difficult bit I think.) If your meaning is what I think it is,
> substituting "might" for "may" would fix it.

This paragraph really is a continuation of the previous paragraph, which has been clarified based on the previous comments.
So I merged the two paragraphs in the new commit.
(Michael may have ideas how to further improve this.)

> But in the final analysis, the fact that all I've got is quibbles is
> evidence of a job well done, thank you. :-)

Thank you!