Re: [Cbor] John Scudder's Discuss on draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-10: (with DISCUSS)

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Fri, 08 October 2021 23:05 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 01:05:19 +0200
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses@ietf.org, barryleiba@computer.org, cbor-chairs@ietf.org, cbor@ietf.org
To: John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [Cbor] John Scudder's Discuss on draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-10: (with DISCUSS)

Hi John,

I agree with the gist of your DISCUSS.

Instead of sprinkling various admonitions over the draft about doing the right thing when encoding and decoding the tags, we do have a concept in CBOR to handle this properly:
Tag validity (Section 5.3.2 of RFC8949).

In response to your (and others’) observations about those admonitions, we went ahead and consolidated the actual content to a proper section about Tag Validity.

Since there are quite a few other changes in

   https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-11

…it may be easier to dig out the new section 4 in the original pull request:

   https://github.com/cbor-wg/cbor-network-address/pull/15

Grüße, Carsten