[Cbor] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-cbor-cddl-control-06: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 21 October 2021 14:19 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-cbor-cddl-control@ietf.org, cbor-chairs@ietf.org, cbor@ietf.org, christian@amsuess.com, christian@amsuess.com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 07:19:21 -0700
Subject: [Cbor] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-cbor-cddl-control-06: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cbor-cddl-control-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cbor-cddl-control/

COMMENT:

Hi,

Thanks for this.  I have to confess that I'm not particularly familiar with
CDDL.

It does feel that adding support for ABNF increases the size/complexity of the
CDDL language a fair bit.  Is the expectation that all CDDL implementations
will add support for these new control codes?  I guess you have to add support
if you want to parse CDDL text that uses the new control codes.  Would it be
helpful to have any text in the introduction about conformance/implementation?
Finally, would it be helpful for this document to "update" the base CDDL spec,
so that readers looking for the base CDDL spec would also find this RFC, or
perhaps that is achieved via the IANA registration.

One minor nit:

Regarding dedenting, I suggest changing "in all" => "present in all"

   1.  determining the smallest amount of left-most blank space (number
       of leading space characters) in all the non-blank lines, and

Just a suggestion, but it might be helpful to include a short example where
some lines are not fully dedented.  I.e., so something doesn't think that each
line is processed independently.

Regards,
Rob