[CCAMP] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-ccamp-otn-g709-info-model-11.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 09 September 2013 12:15 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:14:52 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: "rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org" <rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org>, "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-ccamp-otn-g709-info-model.all@tools.ietf.org, CCAMP WG <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: [CCAMP] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-ccamp-otn-g709-info-model-11.txt

Hello,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft.
The Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related
drafts as they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and
sometimes on special request. The purpose of the review is to provide
assistance to the Routing ADs. For more information about the Routing
Directorate, please see http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/routing.html

Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it
would be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF
Last Call comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through
discussion or by updating the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-ccamp-otn-g709-info-model-11.txt
Reviewer: Joel Halpern
Review Date: 9-September-2013
IETF LC End Date: 19-Sept-2013
Intended Status: Informational

should be resolved before publication.

Comments:
     In general, the document needs to be consistently clear as to what
gaps it identifies.  Many cases are quite clear, and some are not.  I
will try to identify the less clear cases in the comments below. The
last paragraph of section 3.2 is clear and explicit, and what I expected
at the end of each section.  The previous paragraph ("Specific
information could be defined") is much less helpful.

Moderate Issues:
     It is unclear if there are gaps or requirements identified by
sections 3.1.1 or 3.1.2.
     Given that this document is about mapping to G.709, it is unclear
what is intended by the usage of "LSP".  My guess is that it is intended
to mean Label Switch Paths set up by GMPLS to carry OTU/UDU elements.
It should be stated explicitly.

Minor Issues:
     All acronyms should be expanded upon first use.
     In section 2 particularly, the OCh (Optical Channel?) should also
be clear how that relates to the OTU and ODU being discussed.
     Figure 4 uses the abbreviation TSG, which is not defined, and not
used elsewhere.  If it is needed in the figure, it might suffice to
follow "TS granularity" in the caption with "(TSG)".

     Section 8 on Maximum LSP Bandwdith seems to be objecting to too
much information leading to a "waste of bits".  While possibly of
interest to the WG, that does not seem to fit a gap analysis.
     Similarly, section 10 on Priority Support reads as implementation
advice rather than a gap needing protocol changes.

Nit: