Re: [CCAMP] Discussion on Flex-E YANG model structure [was RE:CCAMPDigest, Vol 139, Issue 5]

Jiangyuanlong <jiangyuanlong@huawei.com> Tue, 24 December 2019 03:17 UTC

From: Jiangyuanlong <jiangyuanlong@huawei.com>
To: Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>, "niu.xiaobing@zte.com.cn" <niu.xiaobing@zte.com.cn>
CC: "rwilton@cisco.com" <rwilton@cisco.com>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 03:17:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.74.202.215]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Discussion on Flex-E YANG model structure [was RE:CCAMPDigest, Vol 139, Issue 5]

Italo and Xiaobing,

I don’t think the quotations justify that a FlexE Client is standalone from a FlexE Group. It merely says that the FlexE Client bit-stream can be created (or generated) in multiple ways.
On the contrary, the description in Section 5 of OIF FlexE 2.0 is more specific: "The FlexE Shim is the layer that maps or demaps the FlexE Clients carried over a FlexE Group" and "Each FlexE Client has its own separate MAC, Reconciliation Sublayer, and xMII above the FlexE Shim which operate at the FlexE Client rate." The relationship of a FlexE Client, FlexE Shim and its FlexE Group is rather fixed according to this description.

In Rob’s YANG module, the modeling of “client-interface” (similar to flexe-client-list in draft-jiang) actually has an attribute “name if:interface-ref”, which can reference to any internal interface (as described in 7.2.1, unclear what parameter is to be managed yet) or any Ethernet PHY (as described in 7.2.2).
Therefore, it provides the flexibility to support any type of FlexE Client bit-stream (i.e., 64B/66B encoded bit-stream).

Otherwise, if FlexE Client is modeled as standalone and could be associated with different FlexE Groups (assuming there is such a support in the data plane), we can hardly configure anything when its FlexE Group is undetermined, since:
-FlexE Group number is unknown
-slot granularity is unknown (it depends on the FlexE Group)
-Slot number is unknown (since slot granularity is not known yet)
-slot allocation is unknown (Slot number is not known yet, furthermore, slot resources are FlexE Group specific)
Maybe Client number can be configured, but it still must be globally unique (as the same default group number “0” provides no more number space).
I wonder how to manage the FlexE Clients in this manner.

Thanks,
Yuanlong