Re: [CCAMP] Input on publication track of WSON solutions documents

Dieter Beller <Dieter.Beller@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 09 October 2012 21:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 23:39:40 +0200
From: Dieter Beller <Dieter.Beller@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>, Deborah Brungard <dbrungard@att.com>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Input on publication track of WSON solutions documents

Hi Deborah, Lou, all,

my answers in short:

a. no
b. no for all
c. Experimental for all

Please find some reasoning in-line below.

Thanks,
Dieter

On 02.10.2012 16:30, Lou Berger wrote:
CCAMP,

The WG has several WSON-related drafts including:
   1. draft-ietf-ccamp-general-constraint-encode
   2. draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-general-constraints-ospf-te
   3. draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode
   4. draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-signal-compatibility-ospf
   5. draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-signaling

These drafts are currently identified as being on the Standards
Track.  The WG typically requests Standards Track publication of
documents that fill/fix a clear protocol function and/or have
strong WG support. Given the scope of this work as well as the
time the drafts have been active in the WG, we'd like to solicit
the WG's input on the publication track to be requested.

Once the WG reaches consensus on these drafts (as indicated by a
*future* WG last call), Standards Track publication can be
requested or these drafts could also be published via a
non-Standards Track, see section 4.2 of RFC2026 for all options.

Please let us know (preferably by responding on the WG list) if you:

a. Support targeting all of these documents for Standards Track
   publication?
  [yes/no]
no - the major reason is that optical transponders from different vendors are typically
not interoperable today. As long as data plane interoperability does not exist, Standards
Track does IMHO not really make sense for the WSON documents in question.
b. If no, support targeting some of these documents for Standards
   Track publication?
  [1, yes/no
   2, yes/no
   3, yes/no
   4, yes/no
   5, yes/no]
no for all.
c. If no to any of the above, which status do you think appropriate?
  [Experimental or Informational]
Experimental status for all

Looking at the guidelines in http://www.ietf.org/iesg/informational-vs-experimental.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.ietf.org/iesg/informational-vs-experimental.html
guideline 4 is probably the most relevant one for these documents:

Guideline 4:

If the IETF may publish something based on this on the standards track once we know
how well this one works, it's Experimental. This is the typical case of not being able
to decide which protocol is "better" before we have experience of dealing with them from
a stable specification.

d. Finally, we are most interested in hearing from anyone who has,
   or is planning an implementation based on the WG drafts.  We
   understand that some may not want this information published,
   so please let any of the chairs and/or ADs know (Lou,
   Deborah, Adrian or Stewart), and they will publish the
   information without any personal or company identification.

Keep in mind that this mail is *not* starting a WG last call on
any of the documents identified above.  We'd like input on
intended publication status prior to any last call discussion.

Lou and Deborah

DIETER BELLER
ALCATEL-LUCENT DEUTSCHLAND AG
PROJECT MANAGER ASON/GMPLS CONTROL PLANE
NETWORKS GROUP, OPTICS DIVISION
TERRESTRIAL OPTICS UNIT

Lorenzstrasse 10
70435 Stuttgart, Germany
T: +49 711 821 43125
M: +49 175 7266874
Dieter.Beller@alcatel-lucent.com

Alcatel-Lucent Deutschland AG
Domicile of the Company: Stuttgart · Local Court Stuttgart HRB 4026
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Michael Oppenhoff
Board of Management: Wilhelm Dresselhaus (Chairman) · Hans-Jörg Daub ·
Dr. Rainer Fechner · Andreas Gehe