Re: [CCAMP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-tp-rsvpte-ext-associated-lsp-04.txt

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Wed, 22 August 2012 12:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:40:03 -0400
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: "George Swallow (swallow)" <swallow@cisco.com>
Cc: "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-tp-rsvpte-ext-associated-lsp-04.txt

Hi George,
	I had a little trouble understanding what additional functionality you
were identifying in your message, but after rereading it a few times, I
think I may understand what you are looking for. Unless I'm mistaken it
comes down to:
> want to have a means of signaling bidirectional TE LSPs,
> preserving the ability to have node and link FRR.

And this is independent from co-routed or not.

Is this correct?

Assuming it is, I think there are two related use cases:

1) When the bidirectional data paths are established using a GMPLS
bidirectional LSP, and

2) When the bidirectional data paths are established using the extension
defined in rsvpte-ext-associated-lsp-03 (note not -04)

In the case of (1), GMPLS birdirectional LSPs with FRR, I think you're
right. This would require additional specification. Clearly (as John
suggested) discussion on such mechanisms would need to at least start
based on an independent (new) draft. I personally don't think there's
any reason why someone couldn't author and submit such an independent draft.

In the case of (2), as you're not suggesting co-routed recovery, why
can't FRR just be used with procedures defined in
rsvpte-ext-associated-lsp-03 (note not -04)?  It's even possible to
specify the ERO and FRR related objects for the reverse/upstream LSP
using the REVERSE_LSP object. Are you just suggesting the need for an
informative "Recovery Considerations" section that covers interaction of
associated bidirectional LSPs with recovery/FRR?  Or something more?

Lou