Re: MPLS over OTN

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Mon, 04 August 2008 08:48 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: Howard Green <howard.green@ericsson.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Cc: mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: MPLS over OTN
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 09:42:53 +0100
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Hi again Howard,

So, to pick apart the control plane in an MPLS network ( I think I am
agreeing with you fully)...

In band
This could only happen using the sort of mechanisms being proposed for ACH.
That is, each control plane message is packaged as an MPLS packet and
labelled as for the LSP that it is controlling. The TTL is set to one (or
more to allow non-adjacent signalling). A secondary label on the stack might
be used to identify the control plane when the top-level label expires. We
already have the Router Alert label defined.
However, such a mechanism would only work for existing LSPs meaning that we
could never set up new ones!

Out of band in fibre
(Bear in mind that the nature of MPLS means that this is very similar to in
band except within the switching fabric)
To make this work we simply need a reserved label to identify control plane
traffic. The Router Alert label already provides this.
However, we lack a mechanism for non-adjacent signalling. There are two use
cases in GMPLS...
1. Hierarchical and stitched LSPs
  In this case, we can use the hierarchical or stitched LSP to carry
  the control traffic. For hierarchical, it is simple since we can put the
  Router Alert label second on the stack where it will be discovered
  when the top label is popped. For stitching, we must also set the
  TTL to expire at the end of the stitching segment.
2. Notify messages
  These messages may be exchanged between non-adjacent nodes.
  Normally they rely on IP routing, but there is an option to get them
  forwarded hop-by-hop by the control planes of the nodes along the
  LSP - this is NOT IP-based forwarding, but relies on each node on
  the path of an LSP knowing the next control plane node in each
  direction (something that is required by RSVP-TE anyway).
  An alternative is to use the LSP that is being notified, and to set the
  TTL as necessary also using a Router Alert label just as for stitching.
A further alternative (sufficient but not necessary) approach would be to
set up a mesh of LSPs to support the control plane.

Out of band out of fibre
I am inclined to agree that there may often be good reasons to operate this
way.
Using an IP network as a DCN makes a lot of sense and it should be noted
that this does not require that the NEs have IP forwarding capabilities.

Cheers,
Adrian