Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd question)

Igor Bryskin <i_bryskin@yahoo.com> Wed, 03 September 2008 14:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 07:37:42 -0700
From: Igor Bryskin <i_bryskin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd question)
To: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Cc: "Drake, John E" <John.E.Drake2@boeing.com>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, softwires@ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Yaokov,

Please,  see in-line.

----- Original Message ----
From: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
To: Igor Bryskin <i_bryskin@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Drake, John E" <John.E.Drake2@boeing.com>; Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>; Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>; ccamp@ops.ietf.org; softwires@ietf.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:55:49 AM

Igor,

> And I am not arguing that sufficient redundancy must be provided. However you
> said:
> >For your suggested approach to work with sufficient
> >redundancy, the topology of the overlay needs to be configured
> >such that every selected P router is connected to at least two
> >other selected P routers and every PE router needs to be
> >connected to at least two selected P routers.
>
> If you just simply interconnect all VPN-aware PEs into a single
> ring via IPin IP tunnels and run an instance of OSPF to distribute
> VPN-related information between them, it will provide sufficient
> redundancy and involve exactly *zero* Ps.
>
> So, I want you to drop your lecturing tone for a minute and simply
> tell in what respect in your opinion this approach is not perfect
> fo the L1VPN application. Otherwise, I am not interested in this
> discussion any longer. I do like to hear comments from other people.

Since you asked, one problem with using OSPF, as John correctly
pointed out, is that you are left with a situation in which *every* PE
router will have *all* L1VPN routes for all the L1VPNs. Of course,
this is "perfect" in a sense that you can do no worse than that :-)

IB>> Ok. Several points here. Note that neither Ps nor VPN-unaware PEs participate in the distribution/maintenance of VPN information, which is already significantly better than what you said about the OSPF solution in your previous mail:

>... And while on the subject of scaling, please keep in mind that BGP
>   only stores L1VPN routes on PEs that have sites of that VPN
>   connected to them, and on an RR if used, but *not* on any of the P
>   routers. In contrast, rfc5252 (OSPF for L1VPN
>   autodiscovery) results in storing *all VPN TE information
>   for all the VPNs* on *all* the IGP nodes, both P and PE. So, clearly BGP-based
>   approach scales better than OSPF-based approach.

I do agree that if you use a single ring overlay interconnecting all VPN aware PEs you will have LSDBs at all PEs contain VPN info about all VPNs. However, in case of L1VPN this is not VPN routes, rather VPN Provider-To-Customer port mappings which I believe will prove to be sugnifficantly smaller, so I am not sure yet how bad is that. In any case, if it does present a problem on a network with large number of VPNs, who said that it has to be a single overlay? Why not to configure several overlays - each containing a single ring that interconnects PEs participating in a common sub-set of VPNs, and run a seperate instance of OSPF in each overlay?

Igor

camp@ops.ietf.org; softwires@ietf.org
> Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:10:07 AM
> Subject: RE: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd question)
>
> Igor,
>
> Actually, I am not sure that you do understand what I wrote, because you
> are providing examples of the redundancy that I specified - every PE
> router needs to have connectivity to two other routers in the IGP
> instance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

body><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:
12pt"><div>And I am not arguing that sufficient redundancy must be provided. Ho
wever you said:<br>&gt;For your suggested approach to work with sufficient <br>
&gt;redundancy, the topology of the overlay needs to be configured <br>&gt;such
that every selected P router is connected to at least two <br>&gt;other select
ed P routers and every PE router needs to be <br>&gt;connected to at least two
selected P routers.<br><br>If you just simply interconnect all VPN-aware PEs in
to a single ring via IPinIP tunnels and run an instance of OSPF to distribute V
PN-related information between them, it will provide sufficient redundancy and
involve exactly *zero* Ps.<br>So, I want you to drop your lecturing tone for a
minute and simply tell in what respect in your opinion this approach is not per
fect fo the L1VPN
>  application. Otherwise, I am not interested in this discussion any longer. I
le="font-family: times new roman,new york,times,serif; font-size: 12pt;"><br><d
iv style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">----- Orig
inal Message ----<br>From: "Drake, John E" &lt;John.E.Drake2@boeing.com&gt;<br>
To: Igor Bryskin &lt;i_bryskin@yahoo.com&gt;; Yakov Rekhter &lt;yakov@juniper.n
et&gt;; Lou Berger &lt;lberger@labn.net&gt;<br>Cc: Yakov Rekhter &lt;yakov@juni
per.net&gt;; Adrian Farrel &lt;adrian@olddog.co.uk&gt;; ccamp@ops.ietf.org; sof
twires@ietf.org<br>Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:10:07 AM<br>Subject: RE
: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd question)<br><br>
> Igor,<br><br>Actually, I am not sure that you do understand what I wrote, bec
ause you<br>are providing examples of the redundancy that I specified - every P
E<br>router needs to have connectivity to two other routers in the IGP<br>insta
rom: Igor Bryskin [mailto:<a ymailto="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com" href="mailto:
i_bryskin@yahoo.com">i_bryskin@yahoo.com</a>] <br>&gt;Sent: Tuesday, September
02, 2008 3:06 PM<br>&gt;To: Drake, John E; Yakov Rekhter; Lou Berger<br>&gt;Cc:
Yakov Rekhter; Adrian Farrel; <a ymailto="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org" href="mai
lto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org">ccamp@ops.ietf.org</a>; <br>&gt;<a ymailto="mailto:soft
wires@ietf.org" href="mailto:softwires@ietf.org">softwires@ietf.org</a><br>&gt;
Subject: Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG <br>&gt;(2nd que
and disagree. The
>  overlay I <br>&gt;am talking about logically is a separate network and as an
y <br>&gt;network it should be sufficiently redundant to function. There <br>&g
t;is a number of ways how you can address the redundancy <br>&gt;concerns. Look
at the examples below:<br>&gt;<br>&gt;a) interconnect all VPN-aware PEs into a
single ring: <br>&gt;PE=======PE<br>&gt; ||&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ||<br>&gt;PE&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbs
p; &nbsp;  PE <br>&gt;||&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;  ||<br>&gt;PE&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;  PE <br>&
gt;||&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;  ||<br>&gt;
...&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ....<br>&gt;PE======
PE&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;  P&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp
; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
>  &nbsp;  PE<br>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &n
bsp; &nbsp; ||&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;  <
br>&gt;PE&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;  ||&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbs
ssage ----<br>&gt;From: "Drake, John E" &lt;<a ymailto="mailto:John.E.Drake2@bo
eing.com" href="mailto:John.E.Drake2@boeing.com">John.E.Drake2@boeing.com</a>&g
t;<br>&gt;To: Igor Bryskin &lt;<a ymailto="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com" href="ma
ilto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com">i_bryskin@yahoo.com</a>&gt;; Yakov Rekhter <br>&gt;&l
t;<a ymailto="mailto:yakov@juniper.net" href="mailto:yakov@juniper.net">yakov@j
uniper.net</a>&gt;; Lou Berger &lt;<a ymailto="mailto:lberger@labn.net" href="m
ailto:lberger@labn.net">lberger@labn.net</a>&gt;<br>&gt;Cc: Yakov Rekhter &lt;<
a ymailto="mailto:yakov@juniper.net" href="mailto:yakov@juniper.net">yakov@juni
per.net</a>&gt;; Adrian Farrel <br>&gt;&lt;<a ymailto="mailto:adrian@olddog.co.
uk" href="mailto:adrian@olddog.co.uk">adrian@olddog.co.uk</a>&gt;; <a
>  ymailto="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org" href="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org">ccamp@o
ps.ietf.org</a>; <a ymailto="mailto:softwires@ietf.org" href="mailto:softwires@
ietf.org">softwires@ietf.org</a><br>&gt;Sent: Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:24:2
6 PM<br>&gt;Subject: RE: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG <br>
SPF was first proposed as an <br>&gt;autodiscovery mechanism for L1VPNs, you we
re told that it was <br>&gt;a bad idea due to its scaling properties and impact
on the IGP.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;You are now tacitly agreeing with those who told yo
u it was a bad idea.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;For your suggested approach to work with su
fficient <br>&gt;redundancy, the topology of the overlay needs to be configured
;other selected P routers and every PE router needs to be <br>&gt;connected to
at least two selected
>  P routers.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;When you are done with this configuration, you are
left with a <br>&gt;situation in which *every* PE and selected P router will h
&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;-----Original Message-----<br>&gt;&gt;From: Igor Bryskin [mailt
o:<a ymailto="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com" href="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com">i_b
&gt;To: Drake, John E; Yakov Rekhter; Lou Berger<br>&gt;&gt;Cc: Yakov Rekhter;
Adrian Farrel; <a ymailto="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org" href="mailto:ccamp@ops.ie
tf.org">ccamp@ops.ietf.org</a>; <br>&gt;&gt;<a ymailto="mailto:softwires@ietf.o
rg" href="mailto:softwires@ietf.org">softwires@ietf.org</a><br>&gt;&gt;Subject:
Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd <br>&gt;&gt;questio
n)<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;Are you calling me silly? Are you coming to Minneapol
is?
>  :=)<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;Seriously, what is wrong in your opinion with thi
s approach? <br>&gt;&gt;Many people are talking about multi-instance IGPs. What
they have in <br>&gt;&gt;mind is improving the IGP scalability:<br>&gt;&gt;a)
by removing non-IP advertisements from the instance of IGP that <br>&gt;&gt;man
ages IP routing/forwarding tables into separate IGP instance(s);<br>&gt;&gt;b)
by distributing non-IP information only to and via <br>&gt;inerested parties <b
r>&gt;&gt;leaving the bulk of Ps out of the process.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;In
my opinion this is exactly what is needed for the OSPF-based L1VPN <br>&gt;&gt;
;&gt;From: "Drake, John E" &lt;<a ymailto="mailto:John.E.Drake2@boeing.com" hre
f="mailto:John.E.Drake2@boeing.com">John.E.Drake2@boeing.com</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt
;To: Igor Bryskin
">i_bryskin@yahoo.com</a>&gt;; Yakov Rekhter <br>&gt;&gt;&lt;<a ymailto="mailto
et">lberger@labn.net</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;Cc: Yakov Rekhter &lt;<a ymailto="mailt
o:yakov@juniper.net" href="mailto:yakov@juniper.net">yakov@juniper.net</a>&gt;;
Adrian Farrel <br>&gt;&gt;&lt;<a ymailto="mailto:adrian@olddog.co.uk" href="ma
ilto:adrian@olddog.co.uk">adrian@olddog.co.uk</a>&gt;; <a ymailto="mailto:ccamp
@ops.ietf.org" href="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org">ccamp@ops.ietf.org</a>; <a ymai
lto="mailto:softwires@ietf.org" href="mailto:softwires@ietf.org">softwires@ietf
: RE: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd
ute reflector?&nbsp; At what point does the <br>&gt;&gt;silliness stop?<br>&gt;
&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;-----Original Message-----<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;From: Igor Bryski
n [mailto:<a ymailto="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com" href="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.
com">i_bryskin@yahoo.com</a>]<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 11:2
9 AM<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;To: Drake, John E; Yakov Rekhter; Lou Berger<br>&gt;&gt;&gt
;Cc: Yakov Rekhter; Adrian Farrel; <a ymailto="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org" href=
"mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org">ccamp@ops.ietf.org</a>; <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;<a ymailto=
"mailto:softwires@ietf.org" href="mailto:softwires@ietf.org">softwires@ietf.org
</a><br>&gt;&gt;&gt;Subject: Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires
t;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;No, not really. When you add a PE you configure
>  local<br>&gt;&gt;interfaces, local<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;VPN port mappings, stuff l
ike that. While doing this you will also <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;configure an IPinIP tu
nnel to one of your spoke Ps and enable L1VPN <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;OSPF instance on
the tunnel.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;Once you did that the local VPN information will be
flooded<br>&gt;&gt;accross the<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;overlay, likewise, the new PE wil
l get all the necessary information <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;from other PEs.<br>&gt;&gt;
" &lt;<a ymailto="mailto:John.E.Drake2@boeing.com" href="mailto:John.E.Drake2@b
oeing.com">John.E.Drake2@boeing.com</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;To: Igor Bryskin &lt
;<a ymailto="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com" href="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com">i_br
yskin@yahoo.com</a>&gt;; Yakov Rekhter <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&lt;<a ymailto="mailto:y
akov@juniper.net"
>  href="mailto:yakov@juniper.net">yakov@juniper.net</a>&gt;; Lou Berger &lt;<a
ymailto="mailto:lberger@labn.net" href="mailto:lberger@labn.net">lberger@labn.
net</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;Cc: Yakov Rekhter &lt;<a ymailto="mailto:yakov@junip
er.net" href="mailto:yakov@juniper.net">yakov@juniper.net</a>&gt;; Adrian Farre
l <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&lt;<a ymailto="mailto:adrian@olddog.co.uk" href="mailto:adri
an@olddog.co.uk">adrian@olddog.co.uk</a>&gt;; <a ymailto="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf
.org" href="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org">ccamp@ops.ietf.org</a>; <a ymailto="mail
to:softwires@ietf.org" href="mailto:softwires@ietf.org">softwires@ietf.org</a><
br>&gt;&gt;&gt;Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 11:20:16 AM<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;Subject
: RE: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;que
n't this defeat auto-discovery?&nbsp; I.e., how is a new PE <br>&gt;added to a
&gt;&gt;From: Igor Bryskin [mailto:<a ymailto="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com" href
="mailto:i_bryskin@yahoo.com">i_bryskin@yahoo.com</a>]<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Sent:
Friday, August 29, 2008 5:51 AM<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;To: Yakov Rekhter; Lou Berg
er<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Cc: Yakov Rekhter; Adrian Farrel; <a ymailto="mailto:ccam
p@ops.ietf.org" href="mailto:ccamp@ops.ietf.org">ccamp@ops.ietf.org</a>; <br>&g
t;&gt;&gt;&gt;<a ymailto="mailto:softwires@ietf.org" href="mailto:softwires@iet
f.org">softwires@ietf.org</a><br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Subject: Re: [Softwires] BGP T
E attr last call by softwires WG (2nd<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;question)<br>&gt;&gt;&
the subject of
>  scaling, please keep in mind<br>&gt;&gt;that BGP<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;only sto
res L1VPN routes on PEs that have sites of that VPN<br>&gt;&gt;connected<br>&gt
;&gt;&gt;&gt;to them, and on an RR if used, but *not* on any of the P <br>&gt;r
outers. In <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;contrast, rfc5252 (OSPF for L1VPN<br>&gt;&gt;&gt
;&gt;autodiscovery) results in storing *all VPN TE information <br>&gt;for all
the<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;VPNs* on *all* the IGP nodes, both P and PE. So, clearly
BGP-based <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;approach scales better than OSPF-based approach.
gt;&gt;This is not true in case of multi-instance OSPF: one can build an <br>&g
t;&gt;&gt;&gt;overlay interconnecting PEs via one or small number of Ps<br>&gt;
&gt;&gt;using IPinIP<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;tunnels and run in this overlay an inst
ance of OSPF specifically <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;designated for distribution of L1
VPN information. In
>  this<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;case the OSPF<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;solution won't scale an
y worse than the BGP approach. Note. <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;that rfc252<br>&gt;&gt;&gt
;&gt;never said that the instance of OSPF used for flooding of the L1VPN <br>&g
t;&gt;&gt;&gt;information must be the same instance that is used for the<br>&gt
;&gt;&gt;distribution<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;of IP-related LSAs.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt