Re: [CCAMP] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 11 April 2019 18:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 13:55:48 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "Yemin (Amy)" <amy.yemin@huawei.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>, "ccamp-chairs@ietf.org" <ccamp-chairs@ietf.org>, Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>, "draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 10:40:06PM +0000, Yemin (Amy) wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Thanks for the comments. Please see reply inline below.
> Thanks.
>
> BR,
> Amy

That's an improvement.  Might I suggest:

When a node does not support the Availability TLV, the node should send a
PathErr message with Error Code "Unknown Attributes TLV", as specified in
[RFC 5420].

> Thanks for point it out, the "error code "Extended Class-Type Error" and the error value "Class-Type mismatch" (see [RFC2205])", the text is referenced from RFC6003.
> After double check, they are not defined in the RFC2205, neither in some other RFC.
> Unknown Attributes TLV from RFC 5420 should be better here.
>
> I'll also hold a placeholder discuss point to wait for the [IEEE754]
> reference for the floating-point format. (I think that format is not a
> great fit for this application, for many of the reasons that Magnus
> notes, but RFC 8330 has kind of forced us into keeping it.)
>
> [Amy] Yes, it's better to use the floating-point format in order to align with RFC8330.
> IEEE754 will be added as a reference.

Agreed.  (I saw all the discussion going on elsewhere and was confident the
right thing was going to happen, so this part was just to procedurally do
the right thing as well.)

> COMMENT:
>
> Section 1
>
> If the bandwidth availability requirement is not specified in the
> signaling message, the bandwidth will be reserved as the highest
> bandwidth availability. [...]
>
> Is this the behavior mandated by RFC 3209/etc., or a new description in
> this document?
> [Amy] Good point. How about change the text to:
> the bandwidth may be reserved as

I think I actually prefer the original version.  Maybe "will likely be
reserved", if that is accurate?

> Section 3.1
>
> Type (2 octets): 0x04
>
> I think this should really have been "0x04 (suggested; TBD by IANA)".
> The current text (both here and in Section 5.1) is very close to
> codepoint squatting. I have entered DISCUSS positions on documents in
> the past for codepoint squatting, but relucantly decline to do so here,
> since the IANA considerations do state that the indicated value is only
> a suggestion, and the registration procedure of Standards Action
> strongly limits the potential for a conflicting registration to be
> processing in parallel.
> [Amy] will change as suggested.
>
> When the Availability TLV is included, it MUST be present along
> with the Ethernet Bandwidth Profile TLV. If the bandwidth
> requirements in the multiple Ethernet Bandwidth Profile TLVs have
>
> nit: this is the first time we talk about "the multiple" TLVs; should we
> give it a less-subtle introduction, like "If there are multiple
> bandwidth requirements present (in multiple Ethernet Bandwidth Profile
> TLVs) and they have different [...]"?
> [Amy] will change as suggested.
>
> different Availability requirements, multiple Availability TLVs
> SHOULD be carried. In such a case, the Availability TLV has a one
>
> It's surprising to see this as a "SHOULD" (not "MUST")...
> [Amy] will change to "MUST".
>
> to one correspondence with the Ethernet Bandwidth Profile TLV by
> having the same value of Index field. If all the bandwidth
> requirements in the Ethernet Bandwidth Profile have the same
> Availability requirement, one Availability TLV SHOULD be carried.
> In this case, the Index field is set to 0.
>
> ... and this extra complication seems like it might be premature
> optimization. A strict one-to-one matching requirement is easy to
> implement and easy to verify; the logic needed for this is more
> complicated and prone to error.
> [Amy] I think just one additional step.
> First to judge if the index is 0, if yes, then apply the only availability value to all the bandwidth request;
> if not, apply the availability values to each the bandwidth request.
> A strict one-to-one matching surely is also possible. I don't have strong opinion here.

I don't have a strong opinion, either; this is just a non-blocking comment.

> Section 3.2
>
> When two LSPs request bandwidth with the same availability
> requirement, contention MUST be resolved by comparing the node IDs,
> with the LSP with the higher node ID being assigned the reservation.
> This is consistent with general contention resolution mechanism
> provided in section 3.2 of [RFC3473].
>
> It seems to me that Section 4.2 of RFC 3471 may be a better reference
> than Section 3.2 of RFC 3473, since the latter does not actually say
> anything about the higher node ID winning.
> [Amy] Thanks, will use RFC 3471 instead.
>
> Section 3.2
>
> When a node receives Availability TLVs which mixed of zero index and
> non-zero index, the message MAY be ignored and SHOULD NOT be
> propagated. [...]
>
> How would such a message be processed if the MAY is ignored (i.e., the
> message is processed)? Perhaps this is better as a MUST?
> [Amy] If strict one-to-one matching is applying, the error process should become simpler.
> I see the point now.
>
> MAY be ignored and SHOULD NOT be propagated. When a node receives
> several <bandwidth, availability> pairs, but there're are extra
>
> nit: s/there're are/there are/
> [Amy] will fix the nits.
>
> bandwidth-TLVs without matching index Availability-TLV, the extra
> bandwidth-TLVs MAY be ignored and SHOULD NOT be propagated.
>
> This is perhaps an interesting recommendation to make, since it means
> that implementations that support this document will ignore the
> bandwidth-TLVs but implementations that do not support this document
> will process them, leading to different behavior in terms of how many
> reservations are actually made. (And the "SHOULD NOT be propagated"
> makes things highly path-dependent and possibly exciting to debug.)
> [Amy] How about change both to MUST/MUST NOT?

That seems helpful, to me.  (The first comment is mostly just  an
observation, and I don't see any easy changes that would improve things.)

> Section 4
>
> Thank you for removing the "does not introduce any new security
> considerations" text as requested by the secdir reviewer, and adding the
> "closed network" discussion.
>
> That said, I expected to see some discussion about how the mechanisms
> defined in this document impose consistency requirements between
> Bandwidth TLVs and the newly defined Availability TLVs that can increase
> the risk of reservation requests being rejected.
>
> There could also be some text about the edge cases where behavior will
> differ, for a given request, when some/all of the nodes on the path
> do/don't support this extension.
> [Amy] If some/all of the nodes on the path do/don't support this extension,
> it's still possible to set up the LSP as long as there's enough bandwidth along
> the path. It's just that the availability level of the reserved bandwidth is
> unknown along the path(or in some part of the path), which makes the
> mechnism less useful.

That's probably still worth saying explicitly.

Thanks,

Ben