Re: [Tsvwg] multiple-working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-cosfield-def-04.txt

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Mon, 21 July 2008 13:34 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:37:43 +0200
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
To: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
CC: tsvwg@ietf.org, ahtmpls@itu.int, ccamp <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>, L2VPN <l2vpn@ietf.org>, pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>, mpls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] multiple-working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-cosfield-def-04.txt
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Bob,

thanks for useful comments :)

Bob Briscoe wrote:
> Loa,
>
> I believe this draft has no technical effect. However there is some
> truth in the idea that names are important.
>
> So, let's set aside a few clock cycles to consider this...
>
> 1/ Is CoS a good description of ECN? Given RFC5129 (Using the EXP field
> for ECN in MPLS), is it really appropriate now to call this a CoS field?
>
> Thinking out loud...
> - CoS is a signal from an ingress to the interior (a request for a
> certain class of service),
> - whereas ECN is a signal from the interior forwarding plane to the
> egress (a response from the interior saying whether the class of service
> requested was congested).
>
> The way 5129 was done, two (or more) EXP codepoints can be designated as
> the same CoS, but one can be used to say "this packet experienced
> congestion when using this CoS", while the other says "it didn't". So, I
> guess I could live with this field being called CoS, even though it's
> not strictly correct. I can't think of anything better.

We had the same discussion when we started to discuss this draft, we
wanted to find a name the covered both cases. We just couldn't come
with a better name, so we said "Let us call it 'CoS Field'" and change
it someone comes up with something better.

I'm still open to do that change, but time is kind of running out, the
latest point in time we can do this change is an RFC editor note, when
the IESG has approved the document.

> 2/ BTW, Thanks for pointing out that the RFC Index doesn't identify
> RFC5129 or RFC3270 as updates to RFC3032.
>
> According to a recent discussion on TSVWG with Bob Braden, the
> annotation of the RFC Index is the responsibility of the RFC Editor, and
> doesn't need to be driven by text in RFCs. So we can send an email to
> the RFC Editor  at any time asking for annotation to be added to the index.
>
> If no-one objects on this thread, will you be doing that? If not, I can.

I'll do it.

> But does 5129 UPDATE 3270? I don't believe it does. 5129 deliberately
> doesn't change or contradict anything in 3270. It complements it.

I tend to agree, but have a problem how to capture this. We have

obsoletes
obsoleted by
updates
updated by

Would the following change to the paragraph in the ID suffice:

                                    "We recommend this scheme, which we
       call `per-domain ECT checking', and define it more precisely in
       the following section.  Its chief drawback is that it can cause
       packets to be forwarded after encountering congestion only to be
       dropped at the egress of the MPLS domain.  The rationale for this
       decision is given in Section 8.1.  This scheme is an update to RFC
       3032 [RFC3032] and RFC 3270 [RFC3270] is extended to allow for
       CoS Field code points to encode ECN information."

and - yes if you agree and could improve on grammar that would be great.

"The problem" I have is that even with the changed version this is an
"updates/updated by" the way it is used by the RFC Editor. We want to
point to this extension from 3270 to give implementation context.

/Loa

PS
you helped me pick another nit alos 5219 should be 5129