Re: [CCAMP] poll on making draft-margaria-ccamp-lsp-attribute-ero-02 a WG document

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Mon, 10 December 2012 23:20 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Lou Berger' <lberger@labn.net>, ccamp@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 23:20:08 -0000
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] poll on making draft-margaria-ccamp-lsp-attribute-ero-02 a WG document

<very definitely speaking as an individual and not to be taken in any way as AD
input!>

When we defined the LSP attribute object, we deliberately did not include this
function. Our thinking was that we were defining attributes of the LSP and that
this function is defining behavior of specific nodes. Attributes of an LSP can
be classed as behavior of *all* nodes on the LSP, or behavior of the end points
of the LSP.

The two example use cases supplied by Mach in his email
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dong-ccamp-rsvp-te-mpls-tp-li-lb-05 and
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dong-ccamp-rsvp-te-plr-designation-00) are
helpful for understanding the intention of the work, but seem to support my
understanding of the purpose.

If the authors have a different intention (i.e., not targeting instructions at a
specific node on the LSP) then it would be helpful if they spoke up.

Otherwise (and assuming that this function is actually needed!) I think it would
be helpful to reclass this as a normal subobject of a normal ERO. This would
allow the ERO to pass through nodes that do not support the new subobject
without having to define a new top-level object that will not be understood and
without complicating the ERO processing further. Obviously, returning the fact
that the new subobject was processed will require a new RRO subobject.

I do not much care whether this change is made before or after adoption as a WG
draft, but I do believe it should be discussed at some point, and my current
view is that the change should be made at some point.

I think adoption probably hinges on whether the WG believes that there is a need
to target commands at specific nodes on the LSP.

Cheers,
Adrian