Re: [CCAMP] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-berger-ccamp-swcaps-update-00.txt

John E Drake <jdrake@juniper.net> Tue, 28 February 2012 15:57 UTC

From: John E Drake <jdrake@juniper.net>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:56:41 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-exclaimer-md-config: e4081efb-6d29-443c-8708-750833aec629
Cc: CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-berger-ccamp-swcaps-update-00.txt

Comments inline

[JD]  The problem with the above statement is that the term 'hierarchical switching' is not defined.

> From the advent of GMPLS, there has been general agreement that there
> may be hierarchical switching within a particular data plane
> technology.
>  What hasn't been figured out is the best way to represent this in a
> common format.  This draft documents what we think is general
> agreement;
> that the use of the routing Switching Cap field is the wrong place.
>
> So what is the benefit of a generic/common representation of
> intra-technology hierarchy?
>
> From my perspective, i.e. not speaking for Julien, it is that it
> enables
> a function that is common across multiple technologies to be
> implemented
> in a technology agnostic fashion -- which is, of course, on the
> fundamental precepts of CCAMP and GMPLS.

[JD]  The problem with the above statement is that the term 'a function' is not defined.

> Some example benefits include that it enables per-hierarchy level
> topologies to be constructed by (routing) implementations *without*
> parsing the SCSI.

[JD]  If you don't parse the SCSI, how do you place it in your TE database?

> Additionally, on equipment that doesn't support a
> particular technology/hierarchy combination, processing of
> advertisements for such non-supported combinations can be minimized.

[JD]  How exactly?

> As
> an implementor, I also like the code & testing benefits of having
> common
> mechanisms/implementation for equivalent per-technology functions.  I
> also can see some potential operations benefits, but these certainly
> will be implementation dependent.

[JD] A common mechanism in support of what exactly?  Also, even though there a single proposed field, the values in it will be technology specific.